Piston Liner Paint??

/ Piston Liner Paint?? #1  

garcol

My manual says to coat the piston liner with a water-proofing paint. I assume it is for where the coolant will be contacting the liner. But im not sure what kind of paint to use? I know that flat black tends to tranfer heat better than others, but will regular old krylon spray paint work? Does it need to be oil based? Purple, Green, ?? hehe. Any help would be appreciated.. Thnks in advance Garcol

/ Piston Liner Paint?? #2  
Have you thought about glyptal paint? I have used that inside of engines and it works well. I think it was originally created for use in electric motors. Check this: Glyptal Paint
SimS

/ Piston Liner Paint?? #3  
Painting the outside of wet-sleeve cylinder liners? I always recommend folks follow OEM repair manual info, but I never heard that one! I would be VERY concerned that paint would compromise the o-ring seal area at the bottom of the sleeve or the metel-to-metal seal area at the top counterbore. I may be off base here, but that is a new ne to me.

/ Piston Liner Paint?? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Have you thought about glyptal paint? I have used that inside of engines and it works well. I think it was originally created for use in electric motors. Check this: Glyptal Paint)</font>

In the WWII era, it was common practice for some vehicle manufacturers to coat the insides of aluminum crankcases with Glyptal at the factory. It helped to seal cases that could be somewhat porous due to the metallurgy and casting abilities of the time. I have seen it flake off after 30 or 40 years though - I would be hesitant to use it on a modern engine or one that I didn't expect to tear down for a long time.

/ Piston Liner Paint??
I actually have two manuals. They both say the same thing??
And yes i was kind of wondering about the o-ring and counterbore areas as well??

/ Piston Liner Paint??
I called my local tractor store about this. They told me it was for electrolysis mainly, and as long as i kept good coolant in it i shoudnt worry about it. Sounds good to me.