Pivot pin on tractor walking beam

/ Pivot pin on tractor walking beam #1  

VroomVroom

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2816 HST, Super M farmall, J5 bombardier, 230 timber jack skidder
The last few greasings I wasn’t able to pump any grease into this zerk. But grease would pass through the zerk if I removed it. If I remember right, in previous greasings I thought I remember grease dripping down between the tractor axle and frame while greasing it.

So I went a few greasings without getting any in it. But enough was enough. I bought a grease buster and tried tapping diesel in it. I removed zerk and stuck a straw of liquid wrench in the pin. Nothing worked. I then proceeded to loosen the castle nut, which wasn’t much more than hand tight anyway and tapped the pin out 1/2” and was able to rotate it. I got grease to come out back side above driveshaft. So I hammered the pin back in but again. Solid. I did notice the axle dropping slightly so I didn’t want to remove the pin any further. I called dealer which is over 500 miles away and asked about the pin etc. he figured I should be able to get pin out and clean up. So I blocked wheels, blocked tractor up and removed the pin. Once out past 1.25 inches it slid right out. But an oring came with it. Initially I only saw another oring on back end inside the axle that the pin slides through before screwing on the castle nut. I also thought there appeared to be a seal on the forward end of the pin too. So didn’t think the oring that slid out with pin came from the forward end. Once I realized it did, I had already tore the original. The hydraulic b place here didn’t have that size, the assembly drawing I got the dealer to send doesn’t show any orings. So the hydraulics place gave me over very minutely oversized. I slid it over the pin and it was still snug around the pin. Just not as tight fitting as the original. So I put the tighter original up front by the zerk end, and larger on the back end so if grease did force out, it would have to go back towards the aft end. I slid the pin back in. Hopefully I didn’t damage the back end oring as can hardly see while under there. But now my question is.

I’m wondering if the orings were sealed so tight that it’s required to keep that pin floating in pressurized grease. Which I haven’t thought of because I’m sure I got grease ooze out before without pressure.

And does anyone else get grease ooze out on either end of the pin when greasing? The pin was like new. So it wasn’t dry. Wishing I’d of went to the last hydraulic place to search for the proper oring. Now I want to feel it pressure up like two days ago. Lol. It still has some resistance while pumping grease. But two days ago I couldn’t get a drop in.

Attachments

• C0B29ACD-0B78-4F66-B417-BAAFA43BCA69.jpeg
    C0B29ACD-0B78-4F66-B417-BAAFA43BCA69.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 66
   / Pivot pin on tractor walking beam #2  
I was told by my dealer to only pump one or two pumps of grease in the pivot. Don't have to do it every greasing either. He said any more pumps and you'll blow the o-ring seals. Grease should not ooze out like other joints.

/ Pivot pin on tractor walking beam #3  
Been making mine 'ooze' on both my Kubota's since 2002 and only one adjustment the whole time.

/ Pivot pin on tractor walking beam
I was told by my dealer to only pump one or two pumps of grease in the pivot. Don't have to do it every greasing either. He said any more pumps and you'll blow the o-ring seals. Grease should not ooze out like other joints.
Yes. I might now search for another oring and see if I can’t replace it. Again. Ever hear “leave well enough alone?” I was concerned cause I could get nothing in there. But I’m only idling around puttering doing things. I now realize it just didn’t need any grease.

Been making mine 'ooze' on both my Kubota's since 2002 and only one adjustment the whole time.
How do you adjust it?

/ Pivot pin on tractor walking beam #6  
I use the FEL/grapple to lift the entire front of the tractor off the ground. This does two things. Make access to the two grease zerks easier and much easier to get grease into the zerks.

I use the FEL/grapple to lift the entire front of the tractor off the ground. This does two things. Make access to the two grease zerks easier and much easier to get grease into the zerks.
Oh yes. I did all that. But no way could I get any more in. The zerk was removed, and proved clear. In the end, I think it was just packed tight with grease. The oring I put back in was standard, not metric. Although it was snug on the pin, I’ve decided if I can find one when I get the chance I might replace it. The pin is sealed tight for a reason

/ Pivot pin on tractor walking beam #8  
How do you adjust it?
Simple (on a Kubota). Loosen the outer hex nut while holding the inner bolt and then tighten the inner bolt to 20 foot pounds and then back it off 1/4 turn and then tighten the hex nut while holding the bolt from moving. Only ever adjusted it one time in 6000+ hours.

/ Pivot pin on tractor walking beam #9  
Does the housing have relief plugs? They look like small pipe plugs where grease fittings could fit, but on opposite sides of the actual grease fittings.

Mine has the plugs and according to the manual, the plugs need to be removed, then you can grease the joint. Excess grease comes from those holes. Wipe away, re-install plugs and you're good to go.

Now with some hours of heavy loader work, I can usually get 3 pumps of grease in each without removing the plugs.

/ Pivot pin on tractor walking beam #10  
Oh yes. I did all that. But no way could I get any more in.
what kid of pressure will your grease gun make? some wont make much and wont push old dry grease at all