Planning for spring

/ Planning for spring
Thanks for the pictures and descriptions. I've got some ideas to work with now. I'll get some pics in the spring and revive the thread when I get this implemented.

/ Planning for spring #22  
I will, hopefully, be building a 2 wire trellis system described earlier with low wire about 30" off ground and higher wire about 48" or so. I have Triple Crown (trailing) that I plan to use for this design.

I will also build a 2 wire in a "T" formation for my Kiowa and Arapaho.

Someone gave me 9 gauge wire, but I think it is too thick for my needs on this. Looking to use 12.5 gauge high-tensile. Anyone know of any places that sell less than 2,000 feet?

/ Planning for spring #23  
My blackberries are in rows with two strands of hi-tensile wire running down the rows, lowest one about 2 feet from the ground, highest about 4 1/2 feet. I kinda wrap the canes around the lower wire and tie them to the top. You can't let a first year cane touch the ground or it will start roots for a new plant and you don't get any berries from that cane, so it's pretty important to keep them tied. I also prune the tall canes back some in late spring to encourage more berries. I set the rows far enough apart that I can run a bush hog between them to keep weeds down, then use a gas trimmer to clean up between the plants. I get about a gallon of large berries from each mature (3 year old) plants, right now I've got about 36 mature plants. It's not hard to find people that don't mind picking blackberries from thornless plants, everybody on my side of the family and my wife's side tear them up.
I have started another patch, letting the canes start new plants to be replanted back into the rows so that in a year or so I can sell some. Around here, U pick blackberries on thornless canes go for $8 a gallon! That'd be an easy way to make an extra 300 or 400 dollars during the summer and they don't take a lot of care. Just keeping them tied up, a little pruning, cutting out the old canes and running a bush hog down the sides.
We make a lot of blackberry and strawberry jam and there ain't much better than some biscuits and homemade jam on a wintery day or a good hot blackberry cobbler!

Good info.

I will be planting blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries in the next few weeks. I plan to use the V trellis in the attached link.
http://ncsu.edu/enterprises/blackberries-raspberries/files/2009/10/08brambleguidemay22.pdf