Planning on a travel path

/ Planning on a travel path #1  

DieselBound

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800; Kioti NX5510HC
Tired of maintaining part of my fence line by hand (yes, when I put in the fence I was aware that it would be difficult- it was the best [only?] real routing that I could use that wouldn't cause issues elsewhere). Am wanting to, at least, be able to get my riding lawn mower down along the fence line in the foreground (the other fence line is readily maintained using either my B7800 or NX5510).

Problem to solve: I need to figure out how much area to build out from a fence corner that is bound on its sides by ditches. I have finally come to the conclusion that I'll be looking to do a deck and pier approach (vs. trying to build out a berm [one ditch belongs to the county, in which case I have to watch how elaborate I look to get): I don't think that I could trust a berm setup to last. The point of constructing such a path is to allow me to get, at least, my lawn mower around the fence corner, if not also my B7800.

Picture taken from the county road (county ditch in foreground, though not highly visible due to growth). I have a bit more width up along the upper fence line, where the blackberries are along another ditch. In that corner where the ditches come together and straight out from the fence corner the ground slopes down. I might have 5'(?) of navigable flat area along the county ditch (it then widens up a bit).

FenceCorner.jpg

My riding mower's wheelbase is 48", width is 48 1/2" to 56 1/2" (wider for foldable shoot); spec'd as having a turning radius of 16".

My Kuboa B7800's wheelbase is 65.6", width is 53.8"; spec'd as having a turning radius of 6.9'.

I'm _guessing_ that with my riding lawn mower that I could get by with a path build-out for it's wheelbase/width, which are both about 48" (16" turning radius is essentially moot given it's so tight). Due to the slope on the ditch shoulders I still have to build out in order to level the travel path. The B7800 would take a lot more, but how much?

I'd contemplated making up a sling fixture to "air drop" the lawn tractor using my Kioti but figured that sooner or later things would go wrong.

/ Planning on a travel path #2  
U don’t want to use roundup? I know it wouldn’t look very nice but it sure would be easy to just spray once a month.

/ Planning on a travel path
U don’t want to use roundup? I know it wouldn’t look very nice but it sure would be easy to just spray once a month.
Nope. Have animals. Everything runs down toward a nearby river (less than half a mile away) that has salmon.

/ Planning on a travel path #5  
I'd pay someone to move the corner of the fence in, but that's not what you want. Building dirt out would require a stabile foundation first. Then some sort of wall structure, layered bricks and geo fabric, stuff like that I suppose.

I'm pretty sure that I can do a pier footing and create a platform. What I want to figure out is how far out I need to extend such a platform*. I'll concede on only going with my riding mower, in which case turning radius and width are pretty minimal and should actually require little added build-out. It's mostly a build UP, to bring things a bit more level: too much slope.

* Hence inquiry about how to figure it (mathematically). I've thought about just doing some real world measurements of the lawn tractor around other fence corners.

A gate passing to a narrow strip still presents an issue of turning out into that narrow strip. While it would keep me from having to run the lawn tractor clear around (I don't have gates along an entire fence line because I don't want that to be an access point by trespassers. I'm thinking that it might be more work than what I'm thinking of doing. BUT, I appreciate all suggestions!

Moss, I'd first contemplated and was resigned to this but the notion of trying to stabilize out into a county ditch AND the fact that there's a lot of water (I get 100" of rain a year) let me to see this as being a maintenance headache (too much settling and a risk of the county ditch mowers whacking things). Granted, even what I'm thinking of doing might present itself as a bit of a target for county ditch mowers, but until I figure the required physical structure it's hard to say for sure.

/ Planning on a travel path #7  
And then the county will come in and clean out the ditch :confused:

And then the county will come in and clean out the ditch :confused:
It's not the ditch that I need/am looking to clean. I'm needing to clean along the fence line to keep stuff that grows from the ditch and attacks my fence.

/ Planning on a travel path #9  
I'm pretty sure that I can do a pier footing and create a platform. What I want to figure out is how far out I need to extend such a platform*. I'll concede on only going with my riding mower, in which case turning radius and width are pretty minimal and should actually require little added build-out. It's mostly a build UP, to bring things a bit more level: too much slope.

* Hence inquiry about how to figure it (mathematically). I've thought about just doing some real world measurements of the lawn tractor around other fence corners.

A gate passing to a narrow strip still presents an issue of turning out into that narrow strip. While it would keep me from having to run the lawn tractor clear around (I don't have gates along an entire fence line because I don't want that to be an access point by trespassers. I'm thinking that it might be more work than what I'm thinking of doing. BUT, I appreciate all suggestions!

Moss, I'd first contemplated and was resigned to this but the notion of trying to stabilize out into a county ditch AND the fact that there's a lot of water (I get 100" of rain a year) let me to see this as being a maintenance headache (too much settling and a risk of the county ditch mowers whacking things). Granted, even what I'm thinking of doing might present itself as a bit of a target for county ditch mowers, but until I figure the required physical structure it's hard to say for sure.
I meant to move the corner of the fence IN, so that it gives you more room on the outside to make the outside corner. Or, cut the corner into two corners giving you more of a sweep on the outside.

/ Planning on a travel path #10  
I'm guessing it looks like this with the blue being the ditch and the black being the fence.

You can't make the outside corner between the ditch and the corner of the fence.

So cut the corner by moving the fence to the red line. Why do a bunch of earth work when you can just move the fence?

E8078A9D-F521-486D-8067-4B6AFDCD3859.jpeg