Buying Advice Planning to buy used.... got some questions.

/ Planning to buy used.... got some questions. #31  
No loader on the Deere 750, R4/industrial tires.

/ Planning to buy used.... got some questions. #32  
No loader on the Deere 750, R4/industrial tires.

It's surprising that happened. Glad you you posted, it's a good reminder.

/ Planning to buy used.... got some questions. #33  
I will never forget what an old Woodsman, friend of my Dad once told him. When you are going to the Bush, take the biggest machine you have.
<snip>
But if you are NOT going to the "Bush" but just playing around on 5 acres you probably don't need the biggest machine.

Transmissions.... I believe I want a gear on gear ( shuttle) style. I read it has more pushing power?

Anyone able to outline the pro/con of the hydro trans?

We still need a price range for what you want to spend. To some of us "6g" is a pittance, to others it's a years spending allowance.

As far as transmission goes I've both, 23HP HST, 50HP geared. I would have gone with HST for the 50HP except for the cost per hour of usage. I'll be lucky if I can put 200 hours of usage per year TOTAL on both machines, much less one of them. It would have cost me probably $5K more than the $11.5K I spent to get a 50HP Kubota HST when I bought. (First of all Kubota didn't make the older machines in the 50HP range HST.)

Also if you want "pushing power" get a tracked dozer. Tractors have FEL's. They are called FEL's, Front End Loader, for a reason. They are designed for lifting and loading, not pushing. Lot's of stories on here about bent FEL cylinders do to pushing.

Now if you want to pull a geared might have a little more power but for heavens sakes, you are talking about 5.5 ACRES. Unless it is gerrymandered like a Congressional district it won't be far from one end to another.

For what you ARE doing it looks to me like a decent 30HP would do. It seems MOST of the trees in your pics are < 20" DBH and could be handled in 10' sections on the back of a tractor if you insist on carrying them.

For example:
20131202_111938.jpg

However with a log arch they could all be dragged in sections by my 23HP B7610. A grapple will definitely come in handy for cleaning up the tops, but a pair of $150 clamp on pallet forks and a chain can do that also.

IMG_20150924_114013550_HDR.jpg

Not as quick or nice, but how many trees are you going to cut?

It's your money and your needs. And if you have plans for more acreage you may need a bigger tractor.

But for right NOW something like NEW HOLLAND TRACTOR - farm & garden - by owner - sale should do.

/ Planning to buy used.... got some questions.
But if you are NOT going to the "Bush" but just playing around on 5 acres you probably don't need the biggest machine.

We still need a price range for what you want to spend. To some of us "6g" is a pittance, to others it's a years spending allowance.

As far as transmission goes I've both, 23HP HST, 50HP geared. I would have gone with HST for the 50HP except for the cost per hour of usage. I'll be lucky if I can put 200 hours of usage per year TOTAL on both machines, much less one of them. It would have cost me probably $5K more than the $11.5K I spent to get a 50HP Kubota HST when I bought. (First of all Kubota didn't make the older machines in the 50HP range HST.)

Also if you want "pushing power" get a tracked dozer. Tractors have FEL's. They are called FEL's, Front End Loader, for a reason. They are designed for lifting and loading, not pushing. Lot's of stories on here about bent FEL cylinders do to pushing.

Now if you want to pull a geared might have a little more power but for heavens sakes, you are talking about 5.5 ACRES. Unless it is gerrymandered like a Congressional district it won't be far from one end to another.

For what you ARE doing it looks to me like a decent 30HP would do. It seems MOST of the trees in your pics are < 20" DBH and could be handled in 10' sections on the back of a tractor if you insist on carrying them.

For example:
View attachment 523123

However with a log arch they could all be dragged in sections by my 23HP B7610. A grapple will definitely come in handy for cleaning up the tops, but a pair of $150 clamp on pallet forks and a chain can do that also.

View attachment 523124

Not as quick or nice, but how many trees are you going to cut?

It's your money and your needs. And if you have plans for more acreage you may need a bigger tractor.

But for right NOW something like NEW HOLLAND TRACTOR - farm & garden - by owner - sale should do.

Thanks for the detailed reply! Good info for sure! I want to stay under $15,000.

I won’t be cutting trees all the time and will mostly be using the tractor for maintaining the 5.5 acres.

I would love to have more than enough tractor but the one in the link may actually be just right.

I have reached out to them. Thanks for the info. Not 100% sure I will go with it, but worth looking at.

/ Planning to buy used.... got some questions. #35  
It is hazardous to drag tree trunks flat on the ground. It the dragged trunk encounters an obstruction the tractor can go vertical in one second. Ask me how I know.

Use a cross-drawbar, preferably in the form of a triangle, to elevate trunk butts six inches or so. Much safer and reduces friction of log against the ground by 50%.

LINKS(2): HANDI HITCH
SHORT BOOM POLE ADAPTER

If you are going to drag a tree trunk like that, pull it with a chain going under your tractor, and driving in reverse. This will entirely prevent flipping over as described above.

/ Planning to buy used.... got some questions. #36  
If you are going to drag a tree trunk like that, pull it with a chain going under your tractor, and driving in reverse. This will entirely prevent flipping over as described above.

Of course, with the chain swinging around under your tractor, you may destroy the oil pan, as well as wipe out some other mechanical parts under there.
Bad idea !!!

/ Planning to buy used.... got some questions. #37  
Of course, with the chain swinging around under your tractor, you may destroy the oil pan, as well as wipe out some other mechanical parts under there.
Bad idea !!!

To say nothing about what happens when you run over the chain with one of the front wheels!

Really liking the look of the Kioti Tractors. Seems to be a good bang for the buck IF I went with a new one.

Here is a follow up. Happily found me a tractor!

I found a Grand L3130 shuttle shift with 900 hours, full service record 2.5 hours from me for $13,800. 1 owner before, a military man. He passed and his wife contacted the dealer they bought it from to sell it back.

No implements yet, but plan to get a brush cutter first ( not sure if 5’ or 6’ though) then a grapple and 3rd hydro hookup. I do have to check if the back tires are filled. If they are not I will have to get info on how to fill them.

IMG_2483.JPGIMG_2485.JPGIMG_2484.JPGIMG_2486.JPGIMG_2488.JPGIMG_2481.JPG

/ Planning to buy used.... got some questions. #40  
Here is a follow up. Happily found me a tractor!

I found a Grand L3130 shuttle shift with 900 hours, full service record 2.5 hours from me for $13,800. 1 owner before, a military man. He passed and his wife contacted the dealer they bought it from to sell it back.

No implements yet, but plan to get a brush cutter first ( not sure if 5 or 6 though) then a grapple and 3rd hydro hookup. I do have to check if the back tires are filled. If they are not I will have to get info on how to fill them.

View attachment 526550View attachment 526551View attachment 526552View attachment 526553View attachment 526554View attachment 526555
Looks SWEET!!
If that's your trailer and you use if for things other than hauling your tractor I'd recommend a 3pt or clamp on trailer hitch and a set of pallet forks. You can go with clamp on pallet forks if you are not going to upgrade to a Q/A setup right off.