Planter row spacing problem

/ Planter row spacing problem #1  

Parocket

Tractor
Bobcat CT230
I have a Bobcat 230 with a rear tire width of about 31". I'm planning on planting 2 acres of sweet corn with it. I have a cultivator that is very adjustable but my JD 2 row corn planter may only be able to go to 29".
Any suggestions for spacing outside of planning only on row? I want to be able to run cultivator those for the first few weeks, before its too tall.

/ Planter row spacing problem #2  
Probably need to know more about your planter as to why you cant move it to 30", which is by no means unusual for corn. Is it a drive problem or a toolbar width problem.

/ Planter row spacing problem #3  
You trying to go in between the rows for cultivating? Typically for cultivating you straddle the row of corn you are cultivating. I know you don't have much clearance so that will limit the number of times you can cultivate.

/ Planter row spacing problem
One planter is a 246 3pt the design of the tool bar appears to limit it to around 29" the other is a JD pull type 49? it too has a tool bar that seems to the limit, plus both axles for the wheels have a limited width.

Probably need to know more about your planter as to why you cant move it to 30", which is by no means unusual for corn. Is it a drive problem or a toolbar width problem.
Would less than an inch of clearance be enough to cultivate a few times when short enough?

You trying to go in between the rows for cultivating? Typically for cultivating you straddle the row of corn you are cultivating. I know you don't have much clearance so that will limit the number of times you can cultivate.
I was hoping to cultivate by straddling 2 rows with tines in the center and 2 out rigged along the two straddled rows.

/ Planter row spacing problem #7  
What's your tire width center to center? Normally on a small tractor, my Farmall 100 for example with a 48 inch center to center, you would do single rows on 48 inch spacing. On my bigger Mahindra with 72 inch Center to Center wheel spacing you would do 36 inch rows. On the farmall the row would be centered on the tractor, on the mahindra it would have two rows 18 inches off center of the tractor. On both, after making the first row you would just follow your tire track to make the second row and so forth.

/ Planter row spacing problem #8  
You are right the 246 offers minimal adjustments so I don't think any changes in width of that is going to help you in any way.

Personally see you best option as dropping the idea of straddling two rows and two row cultivating and go with a one row straddle/cultivated approach. Two go with a two row straddle you would need row markers and have your rows **** near perfect and it would only allow inches of clearance for each tire. I would think you would end up crushing a lot of your plants by running over them. A one row cultivator will allow you some room to adjust to you rows if they are by chance less than perfect and cultivators are usually very easy to adjust.

I don't know if you have used your 246 yet but I would highly recommend putting some covering knives or chains behind the planter shoes to help cover the seed. I have a 290 planter (wheeled version of the 246) and it does a great job metering the seed and fertilizer but always had an issue getting the soil over the seed adequately.

My center to center with is 48" on the tractor, out side width is 60" (I have R4 :mad: )
So could plant 2 rows then adjust my cultivations and sprayer to 1 row? Suggest row width?

/ Planter row spacing problem #10  
Get a longer toolbar?

Good luck