Planters for TC40?

/ Planters for TC40? #1  

GreenAcres

Bronze Member
Please tolerate another question from a Newbie:

My wife wants to grow organic veggies on about three or four acres of land. She has found out that her best bet is to grow "green manure" on the land -- some kind of seed mixture of clover and other stuff -- for a year to enrich the land, and then grow veggies on half the land and green manure on the other half every year thereafter, alternating the years that each half of the land is used.

She will probably hand plant the half of the land that grows the veggies, since she has this rather complex strategy of using one plant to ward off the insect and disease problems of others -- I don't understand her planting strategies, just know that they seem to work really well.

But this first year, she will need to till and then seed all three or four acres of this green manure mixture the extension people recommended. Then in each year after that, she will need to seed about 2 acres with this mixture.

We figure that she will want some kind of planter to seed the green manure.

But what kind? Aren't there different kinds of planters?

And is this the same kind of planter you would use to plant vegetables, just in case she ever decided to use more traditional growing methods?

Thanks in advance for your help.

/ Planters for TC40? #2  
For green manure/cover crops, I'd think about using a 3ph spreader...or...look for an old grain drill with the small seed attachment...

Or...here in Georgia, a no-till drill can be rented from the Co-Op for $5 an acre...$25 minimum

Row planters (which would plant her veggies) only close down to about 24" rows on center...not nearly close enough for cover crops....

GareyD

/ Planters for TC40? #3  
For planting green manure crops such as buckwheat or rye I have always used a 3 point broadcast spreader with good results.

You can also use it in the winter for salting your drive.