Planting a cedar hedge

/ Planting a cedar hedge #1  

cokeman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota T1570
Last year I planted twenty cedars along my property line. They survived the winter but they don't look very healthy. I just bought a dozen more that I am going to plant tomorrow. I hope to surround my whole lot this year. I have a corner half acre lot with no privacy. I think that when the cedars are mature I will get some privacy. Any tips for planting four to five foot cedars?

Cokeman

Attachments

• P1020197.JPG
    P1020197.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 2,365
   / Planting a cedar hedge #2  
> Dig your hole twice the diameter of the container.
> Never bury too deep (above the root collar) or too shallow (exposed roots)
> Use plenty of water throughout the first year
> Keep competing weeds / grass cut back.
> Pick the right tree for your soil / environment or planting region (shady; sunny; clay; loam; etc)

Here is a link to some planting videos

How to Plant Trees at arborday.org

/ Planting a cedar hedge #3  
What type of cedars are they? They look like a leland cyprus to me (which i neer considered a cedar), and our cedars are the not that good looking.. LOL

have fun digging those holes

Brian

/ Planting a cedar hedge #4  
emerald green arborvites is what they are

require water - just the right amount too the first year

/ Planting a cedar hedge #5  
I agree with champy and one other thing, they are very suseptable to injury from salt. If planted too close to a road, the salt spray could kill them.

/ Planting a cedar hedge #6  
ToadHill said:
...are very suseptable to injury from salt...
And more so from deer... If you have "bald spots" on them... Bambi has been grazing. On my folks farm they had one - and juniper too - that now look like 5' tall topiaries... a ball of green at the top is all that's left.

/ Planting a cedar hedge
Thanks for the replies everyone. I got them planted and they are emeralds AKA Smaragd.

Dean

/ Planting a cedar hedge #8  
Hmmmmm, here in the south, north Texas, we string a wire. The blue jays plant the cedars along our fence lines for us.

/ Planting a cedar hedge #9  
wroughtn_harv said:
Hmmmmm, here in the south, north Texas, we string a wire. The blue jays plant the cedars along our fence lines for us.

LMAO!:D :D :D

/ Planting a cedar hedge #10  
wroughtn_harv said:
Central Texas too! I really don't think we do it intentionally, but it does happen. I hate cedars.