Planting grass/clover/other after clearing

/ Planting grass/clover/other after clearing #1  

Mitigator33

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5083E
We recently had 20 acres select cleared with a fecon grinding machine on a hydro ax and a rotary ax. All stumps were ground even with the ground however there are still a few stumps here and there from 10 years ago that were logged. After the clearing we then control burned the land to remove debris. There are still a good number of mature trees present so we will be getting partial shade/sunlight throughout. The soil test has been taken and sent off we just have not received the results back but from the looks of it we have some pretty good soil. No clay so far.

The plan is to plant the front 5 acres in fescue some will be finish mowed the other bush hogged. The next 7-8 acres in fescue clover mix and the remaining in fescue, bahia, corn, clover, etc for attracting turkey and deer.

The question is how would you do the prep on the soil. We have a 5 disc plow (it works great for the thrash roots and whatnot we will encounter from all the previous overgrowth) and can borrow a disc harrow and drag.

Should we plow it/disc it/ drag it then broadcast seed or could we get away with just discing and dragging then broadcast for the grass areas?

It will be a beast to plow with the trees that are remaining and we are trying to avoid plowing if possible because we are weekend warriors and this would take some time to do. If it needs to be done to do it right then we will do it but that will probably push us to seeding in the fall and we are trying to get this thing planted to help take root and start to fight off the privet and other weeds that may be trying to grow back.

Thanks for any help in advance.

/ Planting grass/clover/other after clearing #2  
Sounds like it’s basically bare dirt right now. If so, there’s no need to plow. Disk, drag, and plant.

/ Planting grass/clover/other after clearing #3  
We recently had 20 acres select cleared with a fecon grinding machine on a hydro ax and a rotary ax. All stumps were ground even with the ground however there are still a few stumps here and there from 10 years ago that were logged. After the clearing we then control burned the land to remove debris. There are still a good number of mature trees present so we will be getting partial shade/sunlight throughout. The soil test has been taken and sent off we just have not received the results back but from the looks of it we have some pretty good soil. No clay so far.

The plan is to plant the front 5 acres in fescue some will be finish mowed the other bush hogged. The next 7-8 acres in fescue clover mix and the remaining in fescue, bahia, corn, clover, etc for attracting turkey and deer.

The question is how would you do the prep on the soil. We have a 5 disc plow (it works great for the thrash roots and whatnot we will encounter from all the previous overgrowth) and can borrow a disc harrow and drag.

Should we plow it/disc it/ drag it then broadcast seed or could we get away with just discing and dragging then broadcast for the grass areas?

It will be a beast to plow with the trees that are remaining and we are trying to avoid plowing if possible because we are weekend warriors and this would take some time to do. If it needs to be done to do it right then we will do it but that will probably push us to seeding in the fall and we are trying to get this thing planted to help take root and start to fight off the privet and other weeds that may be trying to grow back.

Thanks for any help in advance.

If it is bare now with no rough spots, I would disc, sow and cultipack and wait for a rain. Ken Sweet

/ Planting grass/clover/other after clearing #4  
I agree with Ken, disk, sow, and cultipack. I have prepared a lot of "new" ground and I would suggest setting the disks straight because of stumps. It is easy to break a disc if one bites into a stump. You would probably be good with spreading the seed and then just running the disk over it.

/ Planting grass/clover/other after clearing
After viewing the land today there are some areas that burned well and others that did not. There are a lot of roots and other charred wood pieces everywhere. Should we rake it? If so before or after discing it?

/ Planting grass/clover/other after clearing #6  
I wouldn't worry about it.

/ Planting grass/clover/other after clearing #7  
If it is bare now with no rough spots, I would disc, sow and cultipack and wait for a rain. Ken Sweet

Would you use a spreader or an actual grain drill with a small seed box?

Can clover and fescue be mixed and spread at the same time?

/ Planting grass/clover/other after clearing #8  
Would you use a spreader or an actual grain drill with a small seed box?

Can clover and fescue be mixed and spread at the same time?

If you don't have a lot of roots, rocks and stumps a drill will be fine. On rough ground, we use a spin spreader and mix the seeds as we pour them into the hopper. Most spin spreaders have a agitator in the bottom to help keep the seeds mixed.

/ Planting grass/clover/other after clearing #9  
If you don't have a lot of roots, rocks and stumps a drill will be fine. On rough ground, we use a spin spreader and mix the seeds as we pour them into the hopper. Most spin spreaders have a agitator in the bottom to help keep the seeds mixed.

If I dragged this with a chain harrow and then spread it and then rolled would I get a good stand of fescue mixed with clover?

Attachments

• Grass Planting Question.jpg
    Grass Planting Question.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 619
   / Planting grass/clover/other after clearing #10  
If I dragged this with a chain harrow and then spread it and then rolled would I get a good stand of fescue mixed with clover?

Is that just dead grass on the field or soil? When you sow, you don't want any competition from old grass or weeds. Ken Sweet