Planting grass seed in a pasture

/ Planting grass seed in a pasture #1  

GamblerAcres

Tractor
2018 Kubota MX5200
So my question isn't exactly about hay but I figure all you hay experts know a thing or two about planting grass in a pasture.

I have about 4 acres which have been completely decimated by horses. The pasture is flat, clay rich soil which holds water and takes a long time to dry out, even in the warm summer months of southwest ohio. Drainage is horrible and I'm sure it's pretty well compacted from the horses. Because of these conditions the horses have turned this grazing pasture into a giant mud lot.

It was used for hay by a local farmer before we moved in so I know it can grow grass. I have a Kubota MX5200 w/fel and a box blade but no planting related attachments.

My question is, assuming the horses are removed, what's the easiest/cheapest way to plant new grass? Is there a single, do-it-all implement I can rent?

/ Planting grass seed in a pasture #2  
So my question isn't exactly about hay but I figure all you hay experts know a thing or two about planting grass in a pasture.

I have about 4 acres which have been completely decimated by horses. The pasture is flat, clay rich soil which holds water and takes a long time to dry out, even in the warm summer months of southwest ohio. Drainage is horrible and I'm sure it's pretty well compacted from the horses. Because of these conditions the horses have turned this grazing pasture into a giant mud lot.

It was used for hay by a local farmer before we moved in so I know it can grow grass. I have a Kubota MX5200 w/fel and a box blade but no planting related attachments.

My question is, assuming the horses are removed, what's the easiest/cheapest way to plant new grass? Is there a single, do-it-all implement I can rent?

See if you can find a local farmer who has tillage equipment to plow and disk it and prepare a seed bed. Maybe even seed it for you. No sense investing in equipment that you don't intend to use regularly especially on just 4 acres. What's your plan to keep horses from damaging it again?

/ Planting grass seed in a pasture #3  
How many horse on those 4 acres? If you have more than 1 per acre you'll be redoing this again. You have to manage your pastures by letting it lay fallow and recover, if not the result is mud, also consider adding birdsfoot trefoil to the mix as it withstand trampling and water and will add nitrogen thereby helping the grass.

/ Planting grass seed in a pasture #4  
Some how or another you are going to have to work that ground up. At a minimum, disk it. Plowing first would be much better. Then the cheapest way is to spread fertilizer with a 3 point hitch cyclone spreader. It is also the cheapest way to seed it although not the most efficient way. Then drag it with chain harrows or a even a section of chain link fencing to help cover the seed. Again, not the most efficient method, but the cheapest way and it does work. When going that route apply more seed than the recommended seeding rate. Allowing that some seed will not be properly covered or compacted sufficiently for it to germinate.

Soil testing and applying lime if needed is a good idea too.

In the long run, Jerry's reply of possibly having a neighboring farmer with all the right equipment plant it for you would be the best way and possibly at a very reasonable price. Years ago, when I planted a few acres corn each year for the wildlife, my good neighbor would plant it at the same time he was planting his own ground. :)

/ Planting grass seed in a pasture #5  
Some county extension offices have no till drills to rent. I would get a soil test before doing anything to know what line a fertilizer you need.

That said I think 4 horses on 4 acres is two to many unless you are feeding hay year around.

/ Planting grass seed in a pasture #6  
Lots of good info on this already, but when I replanted my pasture this is what I did:

Killed off all existing weeds and undesirable grass with Roundup

Plowed field

Disked a lot

Seeded heavily with the specific pacture grass seed I wanted for my cattle

Dragged lightly with an old cyclone gate

Pray for rain.

Test soil every year or two. Add lime and fertilizer, as needed

I cross fenced my pasture, so that I could rest it a bit, and also do weed control and watering, when cows were on the other half. Having a 4 acre pasture, I would think 2 horses would be ok, more than that, and you may never be able to keep a good healthy pasture for your livestock.

/ Planting grass seed in a pasture #7  
Have a neighbor do it, I would also try to have it deep ripped or run a sub soiler thru
when the ground is good and dry.
Deep ripping or sub soiling when the ground is to wet can actually increase the compaction
in the ground.

/ Planting grass seed in a pasture #8  
Big question is do you have a place to keep the horses off if you do a complete pasture restore and for how long or are you looking more along the lines of overseeding?

I would say a complete pasture renovation would require the horses to be off it for a minimum of 3 months.

/ Planting grass seed in a pasture #9  
When we do a pasture reseed we try to take the grass hay off it the first year some times two and keep cows off for at least a year, two works better to get the roots established.

/ Planting grass seed in a pasture #10  
Some county extension offices have no till drills to rent. I would get a soil test before doing anything to know what line a fertilizer you need.

That said I think 4 horses on 4 acres is two to many unless you are feeding hay year around.
They do here in Colorado. But it was booked until May when I looked into it around this time of year.

I tilled up 3 acres with a subsoiler & rototiller. Broadcast seed then drug it with a fence panel. Packed it down with the tractor tires. Grass came in well in most places. Ended up a bit ruff if I drive across it against the grain I packed it down.

I keep thinking about getting a reservation in early to use the no-till drill to re-seed the back couple acres. It wasnt overgrazed like the front, but needs help in some areas.