Backhoe Planting trees

/ Planting trees #11  

PHD = Post Hole Digger and as botabill mentioned you should get different augers - 4" - 8" and then a V shaped for digging holes for B&B trees.

Just another point on a backhoe, most of the time to remove and reinstall is the alignment process, and many here make a frame with something like furniture dollies and wood or metal with casters. This makes the process much easier, also rolls away for storage - of course this only works well if you have concrete or a hard surface area where store your equipment.

/ Planting trees #12  
I want to plant maybe 10 ball and burlap trees about six feet tall.

my general rule i always grew up with was a hole twice the size as the rootball. so figure a 18" root ball... 3' diam hole about 18" deep. I can dig one of those in IL ground in about 3 min with a hand shovel.

so by the time you order some attachment and spend $$$ on it.. you could have just hand dug the holes with a good shovel and enjoyed the rest of the time sitting in the shade admireing your newly planted trees

/ Planting trees #13  
Depends on how many trees you have to plant and what size trees... I have planted thousands with a dibble bar, but you are limited to roots about 10" long with most of them... mostly small 1-2 year old trees. If you are talking bigger trees, takes awhile to properly plant them depending on how long the roots are, and if you want to spread them out properly. If you have acres that you want to plant that is cleared, you can hire someone to come in with a planter and put them in... Plug seedling are quick to plant and are a good choice if you can get a deal on them... Trouble with planting trees is you have to get them in the ground.... and if you are talking thousands of little ones... or hundreds of big ones.... you are looking at a lot of work... but good work... :) Here in Michigan you can buy trees from most of the County Conservation Districts fairly cheap in the spring and fall...

/ Planting trees #14  
my general rule i always grew up with was a hole twice the size as the rootball. so figure a 18" root ball... 3' diam hole about 18" deep. I can dig one of those in IL ground in about 3 min with a hand shovel.

so by the time you order some attachment and spend $$$ on it.. you could have just hand dug the holes with a good shovel and enjoyed the rest of the time sitting in the shade admireing your newly planted trees

My in-laws live in IL and it is unbelievable how much easier it is to dig a hole there. To dig that same 3' diameter by 18" deep hole here in SW PA it would take me at least an hour and would have a sore back from using the digging bar. Also found out from my in-laws that they had never heard of a digging bar since they don't need one, well unfortunately you don't dig by hand in PA without one.

I use a backhoe attachment on my 5240 to plant trees and it works very well. To remove or install takes about 10 minutes, if that long. The subframe stays permanently attached on a Kubota, so you have two pins and the hydraulics to remove/install.

/ Planting trees #15  
wmonroe,

Indeed, digging is a regional challenge.

Most (small/med) backhoe owners on TBN are not in the midwest or south, but in the northeast/east and west/northwest.

This is due to the glacial till left behind from the hills.

Carl

/ Planting trees
I agree grabbing a shovel is often a good plan -- but not here! Here in northernmost Jersey there is heavy clay soil. And there are these hard things called rocks. Ain't diggin' no tree hole here in 3 minutes. 'least, I ain't. When planting bulbs, my bulb auger goes down six inches, hits rock, and that's it. Those four teenagers is what I really need: Slave labor! Wish I had them. When I was a youngster I did this kind of work. Don't see many kids doing that now. Professional hired help has proven to be very, very expensive. A landscaper lives across the road, he has crews and he's good, but it costs a bloody fortune. I'm always bowled over when I get the bill. And no one does things zackly how I want them done. Rented equipment is inconvenient because I see a tree I want, bring it home or have it delivered or order it, and it needs to be planted then.

Sounds like the auger with a selection of screws is the best plan, or I learn how to swap out a backhoe in less than a half-day's time. Sounds like the Kubota backhoe is a lot easier to swap than the one on my Deere 1 Series.

/ Planting trees #17  
   / Planting trees
1026R

I have looked at the videos and instructions on the BH removal and install - its really pretty basic and easy maybe 5-10 minutes most.

Removing and Storing Backhoe

John Deere Front Loader and Backhoe Attachment Demonstration - YouTube

This seems very simple and easy - pretty much the same for the Kubota machines - I wouldnt be concerned. I wonder why the mechanic said it was tough?

Carl

You're right, Carl. That looks pretty easy, and quick. Thanks so much for showing me this video and the instructions. Their field guy seemed to be under the impression you had to remove the subframe to attach the deck mower. But the deck mower was on that tractor plain as day. He works on a lot of different equipment so maybe he was thinking of some of the bigger models. If it's as easy as it looks here, I'm thinking I need to order me up one of them backhoes this spring. Removing and reinstalling the front loader couldn't be easier, and switching around attachments to the three-point hitch is really easy. The mower deck is the most cantankerous but it works well most of the time.

/ Planting trees #19  
I think it's time for a trip to the dealer and test out one with a BH installed. This would give you first hand experience with your model or similar. I would imagine a BH purchased and installed after the fact may be a bit spendy tho.

All I can say is the BH is worth every penny when you have rocks, roots, and very little topsoil like here on the NH coast - we have the glacial till - 3-5' rocks and plenty of small ones too.

/ Planting trees
I think it's time for a trip to the dealer and test out one with a BH installed. This would give you first hand experience with your model or similar. I would imagine a BH purchased and installed after the fact may be a bit spendy tho.

All I can say is the BH is worth every penny when you have rocks, roots, and very little topsoil like here on the NH coast - we have the glacial till - 3-5' rocks and plenty of small ones too.

I'm sold!

Just got in from snow-blowing the driveway. Love that little tractor!