Planting

/ Planting #1  

zuiko

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 990 4WD
Next spring I would like to kill a few acres I have in alfalfa and plant some sort of grass. What kind of equipment would I need to do a decent job on this myself? I have a JD 990 (35 PTO HP) on order.

I am thinking:
<ul type="square">[*] Tow behind 25g 12v sprayer (for Roundup): $250
[*] Disc Harrow: $525
[*] 3 pt broadcast spreader (?): $350
[/list]
I could probably get somebody who already has (better) equipment to do it for me, but it would be nice to be able to do it myself.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

/ Planting #2  
Add a moldboard plow to the list. On un-plowed ground, the harrow will tend to run on top and not "bite" deep enough. The harrow is really to break up clumps and smooth the seedbed after you turn it with a plow.

I'm planning to renovate 2.5 acres in Jan/Feb. and sprig it with coastal bermuda and have been looking into the best way to do it. The moldboard plows can have different numbers of "bottoms" (blades). The rule of thumb I've been given is it takes 30 hp per bottom, although I'm sure it depends on the soil. I bet I just opened up a whole new discussion on this topic.

/ Planting #4  
30 hp is probably a bit high. I've got a WD-45 that pulls a three bottom plow with little trouble. Use a five bottom plow that I use on the 4020 with no trouble either. It also is going to depend greatly on the plow as well.

As far as working up the ground you aren't going to do much with a small disc/harrow even if you do get it plowed. I would get the biggest rototiller that you can fit on the back of your tractor. This will prepare a good seed bed for you. After that you can use the spreader and spread your seed. Then you will need a regular harrow. Not a disc harrow but but a harrow. This will lightly cover the seeds and allow good germination.

/ Planting
The rototiller sounds like a good option. Can I do a 72" with this tractor or should I stick with a 60"?

Where can I get a harrow? Or should I just make one with some chain link and steel?

Thanks.

/ Planting #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( it takes 30 hp per bottom )</font>

That number is a bit high... unless you are plowing oh.. asphalt roadbed...

A 63-50 year old ford 9n, or 2n, or 8n.. ( 26.5 HP ) was a 2-bottom plow machine... the NAA/Golden Jubilee ( 49 years old ) ( 30something HP ) was a 3-bottom plow machine.

Keep in mid that to get the most out of plow machines, draft control is prefered over position control.. and that may be one of the reasons those tractors did ok with 2 and 3 bottom plows, as they did have a draft setting. I would think though that if you were carefull with the position control, a 30 hp machine would pull a 2 bottom plow like cake...

Soundguy

/ Planting #8  
Just say \"no till\"

As always, my advice is to avoid tilling up soil whenever possible when prepping for turf. Settling will be a major hassle as well as tracking through that fluffy stuff with the tractor and implements. Turning up rocks, roots, other hassles that must be picked up/raked out/ otherwise removed or dealt with.
Leave the soil intact and compact(ed). If it's level enough I'd mow it short and then use a pulverizer roller to break the crust and open up soil to seed contact.
I use a 72" Woods super rennovator that combines a two row pulverizer with a very nice gear driven seeder box. Does a fantastic job and is unaffected by wind. Angle the front roller for maximum tearing of existing turf/vegetation (crabbing). both straight for best smoothing. Seeder drops the seed between the rollers, front makes the holes, rear covers the seed. $4000+ though. Maybe you can rent one.
Pulverizers do a really nice job of seed prepping.
You'll have something that can be walked on (and driven on) immediately, and no settling problems later on.
[censored] of a lot LESS weeds too.

/ Planting #9  
<font color="blue"> a 30 hp machine would pull a 2 bottom plow like cake... </font>

I pull a 2 bottom plow on a 36 HP machine, and it doesn't even strain it. That is with the draft control turned off.

/ Planting #10  
Sorry for sounding stupid, but can someone please explain the "draft control" and what it does...