Plasma cutter, to many to choose from?

/ Plasma cutter, to many to choose from? #11  
I have a Hypertherm 900 (55 amp) that is close to 18 years old. Hypertherm discontinued this model but parts and manuals are still available. On any machine look at the availability of the consumables, torch tips,diffusers ect. Mine has worked great as a handheld and on a CNC cutting table. Keep the air dry it will cut better and torches last much longer.

/ Plasma cutter, to many to choose from? #12  
I've used my sons Hypertherm he paid $4,500 for and it works very well but I wasn't about to spend that much. After a lot of research I came across this one Razor CUT 45 for $700 and bought it a couple years ago. I don't do a lot of cutting but this one works very well and the consumables are very reasonable. I ordered 1/2 doz. of each of the consumables on Ebay and they were shipped from Germany for less than $20. I'm sure there are a lot of good ones out there but so far with approx. 20 hrs. of use I'm happy with this one.
http://www.razorweld.com/userfiles/file/RazorCUT45_Manual web.pdf

/ Plasma cutter, to many to choose from? #13  
I would go to Amazon & start reading reviews. I usually start by looking at the graphic of good thru bad to weed out the ones with a lot of bad reviews. Then I read the bad reviews to see what the issues are, trying to factor in the person writing the review might not be able to operate a pencil sharpener without hurting themselves. I would certainly like to have one of the higher end models listed here, but I could buy 2-3 replacements of mine for the price.

/ Plasma cutter, to many to choose from? #14  
Warranty, Price and Warranty. Nice to get a brand where you can source consumables on E-bay if not anywhere else. Some units out there have 4 or 5 year warranties. Research will lead you to what works within your use plan and budget.

/ Plasma cutter, to many to choose from? #15  
A warranty is important, but if you only use it a few times a year it might be up before you use it a dozen times. I bought a Chinese plasma cutter (cut50 on EBay) 4 or 5 years ago for right around $225 and it's still kicking. Consumables are dirt cheap too. I used it a lot when I first got it, but just a couple times a year now. I'd hate to look at a $2000 tool I never use everytime I go out to the shop. YMMV

/ Plasma cutter, to many to choose from? #16  
I have an Everlast 60amp plasma cutter (maybe 6 years ago) and it has done everything I've asked of it, never giving me a bit of trouble. I assume the consumables are used up at a quicker pace but I don't use it that much. I would love to have a Hypertherm. They are only an hour or so from my house and a member here (maybe the owner) Jim Colt has offered to give tours to members here on the forum. But they are 3 times the cost (most likely well worth it) and that's a hard thing to justify for how often I use it. If I owned a small business I would have a Hypertherm.

/ Plasma cutter, to many to choose from? #17  
I have been reading a lot of good reports on the Everlast machines, but I havent actually seen one so I wont comment. Hypertherm seems to be one of the leaders, but they are a little pricey. I own a older miller 625 spectrum. I believe I paid $1800 for it new when I bought it several years ago. You can buy better and cheaper now. Its isnt one of the dual voltage machines, just plain 220v. Its rated at 40 amps, I have cut up to 2in thick with it, but its more chewing and knawing than cutting. 1/2in it does pretty good. I think they claim 7/8 ?? but for good quality cuts, I think thats pushing it. I have mounted it in my homemade track torch and got decent cuts on 3/4, but its slow slow slow. I usually hook up my gas torch for anything that thick. Now that I think about it, I have a bunch of 1/2 plate laid out and plan on using gas to cut them with. Not that the plasma wouldnt do the job, I just dont have the compressed air capacity to make those long cuts. I dont know which machine I would buy if I needed to replace what I already have, but I do know I would replace my air compressor first and I wouldnt buy a machine rated at less than 40 amps.

I've owned two of the Miller 625 Spectrums. First was the older larger machine. Second is the newer portable type. You described their capabilities very well.

/ Plasma cutter, to many to choose from? #18  
We've had Hypertherm machines for many years. Can't go wrong, parts will be available for many years.

/ Plasma cutter, to many to choose from? #19  
I think the main thing is to consider that amount of use. I had a huge pile of scrap metal to cut up when I bought mine of all sizes and description. It sliced through everything but slowed down at 1/2" & greater than 5/8" was slower than I would like but considering how seldom that will be the case I'm very happy. Use for making a living is one thing home owner hobby is another. A few thou. sitting on the shelf for a few hrs. per year of use isn't a good investment.

/ Plasma cutter, to many to choose from? #20  
Your first step is to decide what is the maximum thickness you plan to cut.
Then make sure you have enough CLEAN DRY air to run it.
I bought my Miller 625 Spectrum about 13 years ago and have used it for my business and personal projects.
It paid for itself the first year in my business in speed, time and cost savings!
Pics are some 3/4" that I was free hand cutting some brackets for a quick attache fork lift forks.
This was outside of it's maximum rating but it got it done.
I have been very happy with it!

Attachments

• 000_0335.JPG
    000_0335.JPG
    347.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 000_0333.JPG
    000_0333.JPG
    338.7 KB · Views: 137