Plasma cutter

/ Plasma cutter #11  
Is Hypertherm the ones with the tip that you can put right on the material as it has the built in standoff?

Yes it is I have the 45 and it cuts thick material very well. It comes with a stand off tip and a non stand off that i use to make detail cuts.:thumbsup:

/ Plasma cutter #12  
All of the Hypertherm hand held plasma systems can be used for drag cutting directly on the plate at all power output ranges. This allows for template cutting (guiding along the edge of a template made from metal, wood, cardboard, plastic, etc) or straightedge cutting without using clunky standoff devices.

This is accomplished by torch and power supply design that eliminates double arcing between the torch nozzle (some call it a tip) and the plate being cut. As can be imagined....this design is part of Hypertherm's technology that also provides for dramatically longer consumable parts life as compared to any other brand of plasma.

The Hypertherm systems do cost more to purchase as compared to most low cost imports.....but over time these systems always prove to be less costly through lower consumable usage, better cut quality (less time grinding and cleaning up cuts!) and reliability. Hypertherm systems will still be usable when your kids inherit them...like any good quality tool.

There is a lot of good tech and process info about plasma cutting in general on the Hypertherm | Plasma Cutters | Plasma Cutting Equipment | Metal Cutting Equipment | CAM Software | Fiber Laser Cutting Equipment web site. Click on the education tab for plasma tech training as well as videos of various applications cutting metal.

Jim Colt

Is Hypertherm the ones with the tip that you can put right on the material as it has the built in standoff?

/ Plasma cutter #13  
I think your choice of plasma cutters will depend largely on your intended purpose. If you are a hobbyist and on a budget, it doesn't make sense to drop a lot of cash on a "name brand" plasma. You won't go through enough consumables to make up the difference in price even if they do last longer in the more up to date machines. If you plan on using this daily for business purposes where a cleaner cut or longer lasting consumables might equal more money in the bank, and the expense is a tax write-off, I can see buying something higher end.

I looked up the cost of consumables for the Hypertherm's 45. $17.25 for 5 nozzles and $33 for 5 electrodes. The consumables for my PP50 cost $27.99 for 5 electrodes and 14.99 for 5 nozzles. Pretty easy to see how a better torch setup could reduce the cost of consumables in the long run, IF you are using it a lot, as in a business. The Hypertherm 45 costs $1650 (all the hypertherm prices I got from Harris Welding) The PP50 costs $799 - 20% for TBN members = $639. That's a difference of $1011. Hard to see how, at least for a weekend hobbyist, that it's worth over the cost of a whole second plasma cutter to step up to the name brand. For the cost of the 45amp Hypertherm, you could have Everlast's top of the line 100amp machine and put $100 back in your pocket.

/ Plasma cutter #14  
Hi i bought a hyperterm powermax 30 and it was fine for 1/4
1/2 was ok at a pinch but was only good for cutting

Then i had the need to cut a lot of 1/2 plate so i upgraded to a powermax 45

this is a clean quick cut on 1/2 and 3/4 is easy enough

The bigger bonus of the 45 to me is that it will also gouge and it has a mesh cutting mode

And if the need comes up it will take cnc control

As said above i use mine for work so price wasn't the issue it would have been if i used it as a hobby unit and only got it out of the box a few times a year

/ Plasma cutter
I am looking to use it for stuff around the farm, so not everyday use. That being said, I am not against spending a little more for quality. Seems the Everlast would be ok, concerned about the shipping damages I have read here. Also would like to go with a unit that has local support and parts. Fortunately I have time to do some more research. Saving $1000.00 would be nice. I have seen the Hyperthem and am impressed, but a lot more then others. Would like to hear from some more owners/users. Anyone use a Lincoln?

/ Plasma cutter
Just spoke with Everlast and there is NO sales, service, or parts anywhere in NY state. YIKES! That is a bit of a turn off, can't even get consumables for the 60 at a local supplier, online only. Crossing that one off the list. :(

/ Plasma cutter #17  
My problem with the discount cutters is that it is a complete crapshoot on "longevity" of the unit. I know people who have never had problems while other people had a dead plasma cutter after only a few months of use.

In my bodyshop, we purchased an Astro Plasma cutter and not only was it painfully slow, but it lasted for only 4 uses. Only used to cut automotive sheet metal, clean metal at that. Purchase 2 or 3 of those babies, and I would be into a Hypertherm or other namebrand unit.

I am not willing to take a chance after getting 20+ years out of my last Hypertherm.

/ Plasma cutter #18  
I can see wanting local service if you need repairs, but at over double the cost? I can pay for a lot of back and forth shipping for $1000. I think online consumables isn't a big deal either. In fact, I see it as an advantage. You don't have to step out of your house or start your car to get them. They will deliver them right to your doorstep. You just have to plan a little ahead and not burn up your last set before figuring out that it was your last set.

Ian

/ Plasma cutter
I spoke with a guy at one of the regional suppliers and I think I will be pulling the trigger on a Hypertherm. I know it is twice the money but I like everything I hear about them. Just need to do it without the wife finding out! I am going tomorrow to look at the Powermax45.

Thank you to all that have helped in my decision.

/ Plasma cutter #20  
And I own one. thanks for the headsup on them. Big problem with Everlast. I was starting to believe until now.