plasma Vs gas

/ plasma Vs gas #1  

jdkid

Gold Member
Akaroa South Island ,New Zealand (about 1/2 way do
Tractor
8350 valmet with 980SL FEL duels had a 150 Hp deutz just sold it 10 NOV 01
Hi ya's
well i have been thinking bout getting a cut off saw (disc type )and then thinking bout it what about gas or plasma cutter ?? most of the time it would be pipe or box ,there is a welder for sale in NZ made by liquidarc ,viking STP (stick/tig/plasma) anyone heard of them? sells for about 4 grand in kiwi bucks
catch ya
JD Kid

/ plasma Vs gas #2  
JD, everything I've heard is that the plasma cutter is the best thing going, but I've never even seen one being used, so I don't know.

/ plasma Vs gas #3  
Gas cutters are used all the time for pipe in the oil fields. They have a jig which holds the torch at a proper angle. This system has a hand crank to rotate the jig about the pipe. Small thin wall pipe they use pipe cutters.

Egon

/ plasma Vs gas
Hi ya
most of this pipe is 3/4 for making gates a pipecutter would do the trick but not on box or flat ...from what i have read plasma is making leaps and bounds into the cutting fields and might make gas a thing of the past for some people only good thing bout gas is ya can use it for heating to bend things or free up bolts ,can't win them all and can't aford all the toys so something that will do most jobs will get the nod
catch ya
JD Kid

/ plasma Vs gas #5  
JD Kid,
If ALL of your work will be done in a shop, then you can't beat a plasma cutter. I bought one last year and there just is no comparison. The precision of cut with the plasma cutter is amazing. The only disadvantage to plasma is the electrical and air requirement. If you have to do any field cutting, you still need a gas torch. If you decide to go with a plasma cutter, DO NOT buy one with a built in compressor. Use your own air supply. The built in compressors on some cutters are the weak link in the unit. On the other hand, if all you are doing is making straight cuts on tubing (square or round), nothing will be as fast and precise as a chop saw. It just doesn't give you the ability to do much of any other type of work.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.thermadyne.com/tdc/literature/cutmaster50.asp?div=tdc>This</A> is a link to the plasma cutter that I purchased in case you want some more info.

Hoss

/ plasma Vs gas #6  
My $.02 ...

I did a lot of work with a crew that used gas torches exclusively on an oil industry project. We were mostly cutting - plate and tube up to 6" thick (long story - was a feasibility study on gas/oil rig demolition). They also taught me to weld with gas - have never MIG / TIG / stick welded though.

After having been involved with that crew I would have to say that gas is the most flexible option - but seems to be the least idiot-proof. These guys were very skilled. The steel suppliers that would deliver some of the plate would use plasma cutting gear - but that was really heavy duty - almost like something out of James Bond movies.

Plasma cutting was often discussed - my crews opinion was that it was great if you had a long run of cutting with all the materials around the same dimensions. The guys always were adamant that it wasn't flexible enough for their needs though.

Chop saws are the most economical for small stuff - in both time and money. No wheeling around the cart with the gas bottles on, changing nozzles on the torch, waiting longer for the work to cool down, turning on and off the vent system, tripping over the hoses when you step away from the work etc. It's also a lot less hassle to stock up on a few abrasive wheels than it is to call up and get your bottles refilled (or take them in) - may be a pain if you are way out in the country.

Patrick

/ plasma Vs gas
Hi ya
yea it's a tough one on one hand gas can be moved around and beused for other things ,plasma cutter can just cut but a lot better than gas ,chop wheel can only do drop type cuts can not make holes etc etc .i have tryed gas and for brazing and gas welding i got the hang of it fast, cutting i have to say just did not happen for this kid i have had better luck cutting with wet welding rods and high power setting with my stick welder .
catch ya
JD Kid

/ plasma Vs gas #8  
JD Kid, I had trouble learning to cut with gas, too, primarily 'cause I tried to keep the tip too far from my work and tried to be too conservative with my oxygen. I finally learned, but sure know a lot of guys who do a faster, neater job than I do./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ plasma Vs gas #9  
jd;

Are you trying to cut from the top or from the bottom?

Egon

/ plasma Vs gas
Egon
from the top ,i'll see what the prices work out for gas kits maybe gas and a cut off saw could be the best bet
catch ya
JD Kid