Plastic 55 gal drums

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Plastic 55 gal drums #21  
Your local drinking water or sewer treatment plant will have an ample supply of plastic 55 gallon drums that they need to pay to get rid of.

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #22  
But which kind can carry diesel fuel, and if I leave it outside in winter, diesel/kero. Is there some kind of marking on them? I have found some being sold for 11.99 each (55gal pepsi containers with the bungs). But don't want to waste my money buying them, and more importantly, waste my money on fuel if it eats the plastic.

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #23  
PA hayseed

I use blue ones for fuel I like the 35 gallon ones they stand up right under my cap. The only problem is the bung gaskets swell with diesel and I just tried replacing them with o rings its only been 2 weeks but they haven't swelled yet

tom

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #24  
I guess my question is this, after reading through several threads on this board, how do you tell the difference between those drums that can be used for diesel and those that can't. I went to a plastics web site, that distributes (drop ships) drums. They had no identifying symbols for the drums that could and couldn't handle fuels.

kinda lost with this, as I have found plenty of drums to buy. If this won't work I have to get another oil tank at my house for the oil co to deliver.

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #25  
You could alway's get FREE metal 55 gallon drums. Most of my customers can't get rid of them as fast as they get them since most oil suppliers do not take them back anymore due to contamination.

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #26  
PA hayseed said:
I guess my question is this, after reading through several threads on this board, how do you tell the difference between those drums that can be used for diesel and those that can't. I went to a plastics web site, that distributes (drop ships) drums. They had no identifying symbols for the drums that could and couldn't handle fuels.

kinda lost with this, as I have found plenty of drums to buy. If this won't work I have to get another oil tank at my house for the oil co to deliver.
Why get another tank when you already have one?
Just use from it! ! !

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #28  
LBrown59 - my tank is located in the basement of my house, and wouldn't be practical to fill my tractor with it. I was looking for something to put behind the garage. Besides, in the winter time my wife would skin me alive if she thought I was siphoning our HHO to put in the tractor. She tends to panic when it gets around zero. I live in an old farm house and its a little drafty.

As far as free goes, I think some manufacturers are getting a little smarter, at least in my area. They don't give them away, but they are about 6-12 each. I have seen some of the smaller ones at a restaurant, but I think they are 5-10 gal range. Somewhere on this board someone mentioned bottling companies, car wash places, oil companies, and anyplace that uses detergents. I think they would all work for your needs.

Diesel power - I think I may have located a oil company that may give me some free metal 55 gal tanks, but I haven't been able to get ahold of the guy I need to talk to. I think they are the best solution, but would need to devise a pallet for loading on the truck. i was hoping to find a 15-30 gal plastic one. Just to eliminate some of my increasingly frequent trips to the station.

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #29  
Check with the yogurt (Kraft) plant at North Lawrence NY. They get flavoring in them to mix with the yogurt.

/ Plastic 55 gal drums #30  
PA hayseed - Depending on where you are I can get you all the 55 gallon metal drums you want. I'm in Fairfield, PA which is near Gettysburg, PA. My property sets on the MD/PA state line.

Status
Not open for further replies.