Plastic barrels and old food oils

/ Plastic barrels and old food oils #1  

greggyy

Gold Member
Tractor
Compacts
Hi All,

My tractors are 60's era and 80's era.

I have some plastic barrels that contained food oils, and am wondering if I should clean them out and if yes, how best to do it as the holes are standard like on a 44gal metal drum.

They had, flax seed oil, evening primrose oil and other food type oils.

I also ask as when I was looking at old tractors, one guy said he used to collect old engine and food oils and use them in the tractor, I know they are called oilers, but I would not be using old sump oil without knowing what was in it and it was filtered well :)

/ Plastic barrels and old food oils #2  
I wouldn't worry about cleaning them. Not a fan of bio diesel myself but a few quarts of food oil in 50 gallons of diesel wouldn't concern me.

I used motor oil drums and just drained the excess oil out and pumped the diesel in. Probably would have been okay just to mix it.

/ Plastic barrels and old food oils
Yeah, exactly why I am asking, cleaning them properly then emptying is prob no small task, esp if using water and detergent, but if it was warmer, putting a small amount of petrol in there and swishing that around then allowing to evap would prob work.

I have an afterthought, I also have a 2000 era land rover with electronic injection & TBH it uses fuel far more often than the tractors which hardly use anything as are only 40 horses, so would be using fuel for/in that often too.

Another idea may be just put 5l or so (a gallon) and let it slosh around for a bit, then drain, could save this diesel oil mix to use in the older engine, I think the 80's one would be fine too.

PS is the old hand type pump that are cheap from China ok for this use, or is it much better to buy the electric one, what do people think of these options.

/ Plastic barrels and old food oils #4  
Hand pumps are cheap and pretty well work every time. Fine for occasional use. Electric pumps cost a bit but are fast and easy to use, especially if your pumping larger volumes. Not usually a issue on small tractors. Think the answer is what ever fits your budget, time, energy requirements.

Usually a good idea to have a filter setup on the fuel tank. Easier done with a electric pump. Still doable with the hand pump.

/ Plastic barrels and old food oils #5  
Small amounts of your oil shouldnt be an issue. Some oils may increase smoke. Some you can smell in the exhaust. (Biodiesel is processed with one of two strong bases and methanol to convert and remove the glycerin.) Water and plain old dirt are the biggies to keep out. Dispenser filters like Cim-Tek are low restriction enough to gravity flow. The blue ones will slow flow to a crawl when full of water so you know when to change out.

Some hand pumps put out about 5 pumps per gallon. Many take 10 revolutions per gallon and some twice that. Fill Rite electric pumps are the gold standard and run $300 and up for the red ones. No name electric pumps can be as low as $40.

Centrifuges can clean waste engine oil well enough to burn in an old style diesel.

/ Plastic barrels and old food oils #6  
Beins we're on the subject, anybody----anybody out there........check to see if those blue barrels were suitable for petroleum products? I've been using steel 55 gallon drums and have old antifreeze in a blue one. Thought about getting blue ones since rust wouldn't be an issue on old crankcase oil storage....till I have enough to get a truck out here to pick it up. Last time they came out they had a 150 gallon min. for a no charge p/u and my steel ones are getting old.

If they come with oils and other things, and if ok for diesel, should be ok for what your talking about, but old oil would not matter if in a steel barrel with some rust anyway, your not going to use it and if anyone else will it has to be treated first.

Steel wont be effected by being in the sun, not sure of the plastic on the barrels if long term in sun etc.

/ Plastic barrels and old food oils #8  
I have a white plastic one that I've had diesel in for 3-4+ years now just fine. Nice to be able to see the level inside from a distance as it's slightly translucent. I keep it in the barn so no issues with UV for the plastic or contents.

What do you use to get the diesel out if you do not mind me asking.....I been thinking about a cheap electric bowser type arrangement with pump

/ Plastic barrels and old food oils #10  
What do you use to get the diesel out if you do not mind me asking.....I been thinking about a cheap electric bowser type arrangement with pump
https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200665175_200665175 or something pretty similar is on my 55 gallon drum. The top of the plastic drum does flex a bit more than I like when manually pumping. Tank & pump have held up fine for 4ish years

I upgraded to a 300 gallon tank on a stand, so gravity does the work there. I still use the 55 gallon drum more than I expected (waiting for fall to fill the tank on the stand with winter blend). I have the 12v small 8gpm GPI pump on my new 36 gallon tank in the back of my truck.

If I had it to do over again I might pay the extra $75 or so for an electric over the manual. The drum head flexing when working the lever & the fact you can't keep an eye down the neck of the fuel tank make it so much nicer to deal with. Easy enough to put some alagator clips on & clamp to the tractor battery if you dont have power.