Comparison Plastic versus Paper, I mean Metal.

/ Plastic versus Paper, I mean Metal. #31  
Not sure if this may have any influence on the discussion but just today I put a large dent in my hood. It was hit just right by a small piece of firewood. I am quite confident that if the hood was plastic it would have bounced right off without so much as a scratch. As I was considering selling my tractor and upgrading I had read this post last evening with quite some interest and then this happens today. I learned a few things, for me plastic will be the way to go, I now have a $200 repair or lesson, whichever way you look at it. And second, Never bother reading these kinds of posts as it is bound to bring me bad luck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif lol
I just better not read about how a tractor blew up or something like that, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Plastic versus Paper, I mean Metal. #32  
LOL @ Firel7: the OLD CUB we had got the cowl destroyed by a hunk of fire wood, (limb *" by 8' rolled back over fel & smashed it flat, PLASTIC and cost 290 if i remember right.

as for GM making PLASTIC cars, yes they been doihg it for a long time 55 corvette but that was actually "fiberglass" but close enough. they made really plastic cars starting with fiero (or should that be feasco?) (was riding with my buddy in high school going to school one winter morning when a brand new one slid out in front of us, (we were in his 79 t-bird) the hole front end was tore off that Fiero! firewall forward was GONE nad 30' away in ditch. the bumper on the t-bird was bent up and back about 2" and it cracked the parking light that was it!!! anyhow the lady driving it was OK we were late to school only to find out they closed classes while we were on our way!

also about 2 months back one of those GM minivans that are all plastic was hit on I-71. they slid across median and the van was brod sided by serria pick up. the van was literly fragmented like someone had a bomb inside it. there was 2 deaths kids that were in the back of the van & the seats were almost 50 feet away as they wee thrown out. My buddy runs the towing company up te street so I stopped to take a closer look, while state trooper pulled up with the couple who were driving the pickup. they were unhurt but somewhat emoitional by the ordeal.

moral of the story if you are going to hit a car hit a plastic one, if you own a car DON'T own a plastic one! as for tractors, heck I prefer metal but the fiberglass hood I have on mine is OK and has stood up well SOFAR.

Markm /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Plastic versus Paper, I mean Metal. #33  
Well, I like a metal tractor, but having said that, I find that my (mostly) metal Kioti does in fact have a plastic dash - and I like it! There are also a few plastic handles, etc. Plastic is such a general term as to be almost meaningless. There are thermoplastics (that can be re-melted), thermosets (that will not re-melt), plastics with fillers of all kinds, different coatings - it's endless. Depending on the kind of abuse you're going to give it, either plastic or metal will have the advantage. And of course, the quality of the plastic will effect the durability, just as the quality of the metal, and its thickness and paint will effect it. With steel you'll have rust, dents, and fatigue cracks. With plastics, you'll eventually have UV damage, shrinking/deforming (if it's filled it will hold up better), and cracking.

I don't think my TO20 has a single plastic part on it, other than the bakelite distributor cap and rotor.

In the end, I guess I feel the same way about plastic on a tractor as I do about plastic on a house or a fence. You don't have to maintain a plastic part, but then again when it deteriorates, there's nothing you can do with it but throw it out.

/ Plastic versus Paper, I mean Metal. #34  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> moral of the story if you are going to hit a car hit a plastic one, if you own a car DON'T own a plastic one! </font> )</font>

Don't you think the minivan would have some steel re- inforcment under the plastic skin ? If it had a metal skin, the thickness of the metal would probably not have been any difference compared to the thickness of the plastic and not any stronger.
The size of the Sierra in comparrison to the size of the mini van would be the difference.
Just my humble opinion.

/ Plastic versus Paper, I mean Metal. #35  
Points have been made on here that plastics are great and can lay out in the sun for 100 years ok. How long has that plastic been made ? I don't think any of it has lain outside for 100 yrs in the Florida sun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I know "simulated" testing ...

I lived in Tampa FL for 7 yrs and all plastic items lived a very rough life down there. White PVC pipe exposed to the sun was brittle in 6-12 months. The cheapo plastic lawn furniture, maybe lasts 2 yrs with most of the direct sunlight blocked before chalk and brittleness sets in. In more northern areas it will last for over twice as many yrs before becoming brittle. Plastic garbage cans even started chalking from the UV exposure...
The first year I was in FL I bought nice plastic patio furniture, 2 yrs later junk, so I started buying throwaway stuff.

Also the point was made about the plastic components not lasting 40-50 yrs for the purpose of restoring an old tractor. I personally think that is a moot point as the electronic controls very likely won't be available anyway, and once the tractor is old and the HYDRO tranny goes out it is not cost effective to repair if you can get parts. Too much plastic, aluminium, and electronics...

just my viewpoints on this subject..

Ben

/ Plastic versus Paper, I mean Metal. #36  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I don't think my TO20 has a single plastic part on it, other than the bakelite distributor cap and rotor. )</font>

So you really, really like sitting on that cold/wet/hot metal seat instead of the nice padded one I have on my tractor? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nature has blessed me with lots of natural padding, but I still like my vinyl and foam (plastics) seat cushion. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Plastic versus Paper, I mean Metal. #37  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Points have been made on here that plastics are great and can lay out in the sun for 100 years ok. How long has that plastic been made ? I don't think any of it has lain outside for 100 yrs in the Florida sun I know "simulated" testing ... </font> )</font>

Let me say, I think it would outlast you or your tractor in " The Hot Florida sun" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Plastic versus Paper, I mean Metal. #38  
Actually, in the 25 years I've been using it, its never had a pad on the seat. In general, even though I don't have much padding on my own seat, I find the metal pan on a big spring to be quite comfortable. Truth be told, I find the TO20 to be more comfortable in most cases than the LK3054 with a padded adjustable seat! Mostly that's due to the bigger wheels and that big old spring under the seat. When I'm moving accross a field at a good clip, it doesn't toss me aroound nearly as much.

/ Plastic versus Paper, I mean Metal. #39  
<font color="red"> I find the metal pan on a big spring to be quite comfortable. Truth be told, I find the TO20 to be more comfortable in most cases than the LK3054 with a padded adjustable seat! </font>

Chris, I tend to agree with you that the old pan seats are very comfortable, the big springs soak up the shocks that the newer CUTS (even with suspension seats) simply cannot absorb. There seems to be a lot more travel in the old seat suspensions than in the new stuff. Overall, the new tractors are much easier to operate and I find them more practical to use for most tasks, but the old pan seats are greatly under-rated.

/ Plastic versus Paper, I mean Metal. #40  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( moot point as the electronic controls very likely won't be available anyway, and once the tractor is old and the HYDRO tranny goes out it is not cost effective to repair if you can get parts )</font>
I've wondered the same.. Just how many parts will be available for expensive electronics and hydro parts for early and late model hydros.. 50 years from now..

Soundguy