Play in L3130 Steering Wheel. Is this normal?

/ Play in L3130 Steering Wheel. Is this normal? #1  

Tractor Dr.

How much play is considered normal in the steering wheel of a new tractor? If I mark a spot on my steering wheel and turn left to right, I have to turn it 2 1/2" to 3" before the front wheels move. Transversely, when driving the tractor I see the wheels move back and forth slightly when the steering wheel is held. Granted the 2 1/2" to 3" doesn't equate to much rotation at the significantly smaller steering shaft. I showed this to the dealer and he said this was actually "better than most L3130's he's seen". He said since it's a hydraulic connection to the steering rack vs. a mechanical connection on cars (rack & pinion gear) so you will see some slop. He said it can't be tightened up. Is the dealer tech giving me a line of BS? Is there a way to get rid of this steering slop?

About 3 years ago I had the same problem on a new B7800, only this became noticeable after about 50 hrs of use. Same dealer (probably different tech) got all of that play out.

/ Play in L3130 Steering Wheel. Is this normal? #2  
You want to have play in the steering wheel. If you didn't as you work and go over a bump your tractor would turn every time you hit a bump. The play allows you to maintain a straight line while working.

/ Play in L3130 Steering Wheel. Is this normal? #3  
Robert_in_NY said:
You want to have play in the steering wheel. If you didn't as you work and go over a bump your tractor would turn every time you hit a bump. The play allows you to maintain a straight line while working.

Not quite correct. There is no mechanic connection between the front end and the steering wheel. It is all done with hydraulics. There is a pump in the column that is used to move fluid should the tractor die and you want to steer.

Having a bit of play is normal. Also, the wheel will not keep spoke alignment with the tire direction. So if the "k" on the wheel is correct reading while the tires are straight, after a few corners - it "k" will be crooked. It's just the way the hydrostatic steering works.

One thing to check would be the steering cylinder and tie rods. Make sure that the tie rod ends are tight, the mounting is tight. Other than that...

jb

/ Play in L3130 Steering Wheel. Is this normal? #4  
Tractor Dr. said:
He said since it's a hydraulic connection to the steering rack vs. a mechanical connection on cars (rack & pinion gear) so you will see some slop. He said it can't be tightened up. Is the dealer tech giving me a line of BS?
Its not BS. The dealer is correct.
Sounds normal to me for hydraulic power steering.

/ Play in L3130 Steering Wheel. Is this normal? #5  
john_bud said:
Not quite correct. There is no mechanic connection between the front end and the steering wheel. It is all done with hydraulics. There is a pump in the column that is used to move fluid should the tractor die and you want to steer.

Having a bit of play is normal. Also, the wheel will not keep spoke alignment with the tire direction. So if the "k" on the wheel is correct reading while the tires are straight, after a few corners - it "k" will be crooked. It's just the way the hydrostatic steering works.

One thing to check would be the steering cylinder and tie rods. Make sure that the tie rod ends are tight, the mounting is tight. Other than that...

jb

What did I say that was wrong? If you had the steering wheel set to such minimal tolerance so that the slightest movement would activate the pump then wouldn't it turn every time you went over a bump as you held the wheel? The tolerance is set so that as you go over a bump you arms can move a little from the shock without turning the front wheels. All I said is with this style of steering it is suppose to have play in the wheel. Now if he can turn the wheel 360 degrees and it doesn't steer yet then he might have a problem.

/ Play in L3130 Steering Wheel. Is this normal? #6  
I agree with what the gang has said...mine has play in the steering. However, you never notice it when driving it around off the roads...in fields, etc.

One thing that John Bud mentioned, about spoke alignment... I bought a steering wheel spinner and installed it on just the right spoke to be perfectly satisified. I rejoiced at my perfect installation. Driving around, I noticed the perfect alignment did not last long. So, I moved the spinner yet again to the next perfect spot. Thereafter, the sweet spot moved yet again! I guess I figured that one out the hard way!

Wish John Bud had told me earlier...

Last edited:
   / Play in L3130 Steering Wheel. Is this normal?
Redbug what is a steering wheel spinner? I've never heard of this. You say you "installed it on just the right spoke to be perfectly satisfied." Can you explain what that means?

Thanks to all others for your explanations and feedback. Sounds like this is normal and I'll leave it alone unless I see it get really crazy. I will also check the linkages to be double sure.

/ Play in L3130 Steering Wheel. Is this normal? #8  
Hey there Tractor Dr....

Here's a steering wheel spinner...

Steering Wheel Spinner, Model# 12 | Mower Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment

They attach onto your steering wheel. Sometimes called a suicide knob. Great for FEL work. I would not be without one. Left hand hangs onto the the spinner turning the steering wheel, right hand hangs onto and operates the joystick. You can turn much faster using a spinner.

Hope you did not think it was some kind of disease or something...

/ Play in L3130 Steering Wheel. Is this normal?
Thank you Redbug...I've seen them before just never heard it called a "steering wheel spinner" but it makes sense now that I know what it is. My Dad had one of them on his Farmall M and that was about the only way you could get the wheel to to turn. You had to watch out too cuz once she started turning you had to hang on because it was gonna start turning you(the driver) if you weren't careful. Obviously not the case on a L3130.

Relieved to hear its not a new disease. :)

Thanks for the clarification.