Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #1  

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
I have had one of these things give to me although for the life of me I cannot figure out what to use it for? I have seen them many times hanging on the walls of tractor businesses etc, and I'm not exactly new to tractors but I'm having a hard time finding something to do with this thing,
I'm sure it has a purpose?
I done a quick Google search to see if I could find anyone demonstrating one in use, but all I found was one on a 3 pth with a trailer ball connected,:cool:
Heck! one of the first things I done back when I got my Box scrape was to drill a 7/8 hole in the lip of the rear of the box and installed a trailer ball onto it, been pulling trailers with it for many years, surely there are more purposses for this Toolbar/drawbar then to connect a trailer ball?

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #2  
This is the contraption I made, along with a grab hook at the end of the chain I back in to things, grab, lift and move. It comes handy when you want to drag something but would not want to spend time hooking it up to 3 point hitch.

JC,

dsc06235v.jpg

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #3  
I seen it used alot on the farm I worked on pulling hay wagons. some of the tractors they had no swinging bars from transaxle, but it had a 3pt hitch.

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #4  
I use mine for two things. To stabilize my lower links when I do not have an implement on the tph, (Large ag trctor) and I welded 4 chain hooks on it and use it to skid logs when I don't want to go to the trouble of rigging up the Farmi 601 to forward a few saw logs. I never heard a name for it.

On the other hand I understand a drawbar to be attached to the frame, rear axel housing of a tractor and used specifically for towing. I use my drawbars for dragging VERY heavy loads and trailer towing.

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #5  
4086022756_1f0a89c9ca.jpg

With the bar attached so I was able to to lift and haul all these cut trees to a remote staging area. (a 3 year off and on project) that stretch was unpassable muck before that swalehole was put in.

There's also a slot low under the axle between the rear tires you can insert the bar and secure with a drop pin for this handy tool to become a draw bar. There are situations that arise you want the lowest possible towing center of gravity to avoid flipping the tractor.

You can also put a variety of ball hitches on the holes provided. I suppose the many holes were for the older pre 3PH farm equipment that's still serviceable even today.

It's a very handy device.

3185007421_4a9870fac1.jpg

Here's another pic of it supporting an easy on/off light tool carrier...after a few incidents with logging chains I came up with that to NOT keep tools of any kind in the bucket.

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #6  
If you are referring to the horizontal drawbar pictured in red above then I would say that most tractor owners have one and without modifications do not get much use out of them. Years ago I use to attach a set of log tongs to it to drag the logs into a clearing but today there are much better tools for this.

I use a fixed drawbar to tow trailers, much safer.

Steve

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #7  
surely there are more purposses for this Toolbar/drawbar then to connect a trailer ball?

If it is a horizontal draw bar your talking about like in JC's pic, then sure there are other tasks for it, like pulling anything from the rear of your tractor, If you didn't have a fixed draw bar under the axle it would be a necessity.

They come in real handy for skidding logs as you can lift the front of the log log up over obstacles.

Also for trailer jockeying, having the hitch on the 3pt makes coupling trailers easy. with a ball on your scraper box you would be limited in it's movement and you wouldn't go over the road with it.

EZmover Tractor Hitch-Drawbar Hitch

Get one of these and you will be happy, unless you already have a receiver tube on a quick hitch like many of us have now, which does make the HDB obsolete for us.
A receiver tube is almost a necessary now, it is for me anyway.

JB.

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #8  
As I kid I remember using one on an 8N we had. We used it to pull the hay wagon. We also used to pull square bailers. Now with belly bars attached under the tractor there seems there is not much need anymore.

/ Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #9  
I used one as the basis for my three-point receiver hitch. This hitch also serves several other functions, such as support for my boom pole.

Attachments

• 100_0881 B.JPG
    100_0881 B.JPG
    494 KB · Views: 3,348
  • IMG_1494B.jpg
    IMG_1494B.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 4,420
   / Please Explain the use of a ToolBar/Drawbar #10  
I used one as the basis for my three-point receiver hitch. This hitch also serves several other functions, such as support for my boom pole.

That's an awesome looking boom pole and adaptor.

I love seeing all this multi use contraptions, makes want to go back out to the laboratory and and bring something to life!

I made a boom pole for the receiver on my bucket, not sure of it's capacity but has come in handy, I'm trying to come up with a way to use it on my 3pt QH.

JB.

Attachments

• P9089743.JPG
    P9089743.JPG
    365.6 KB · Views: 2,132
  • P9079734.JPG
    P9079734.JPG
    461.5 KB · Views: 1,244