PLOW CUTTING AND WELDING BRACKETS

/ PLOW CUTTING AND WELDING BRACKETS #1  

Brimfield

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3800
I have a old truck with a 8' old fisher plow. The truck isn't going but I want to take the plow off and salvage it. I want to cut it down to 6 feet and have it be a clamp on for my L3800 Kubota. How hard would it be to cut it with a recip saw or with cut off wheel on a circular saw? I am thinking of having someone fabricate some brackets for it, My welds are limited with a arc welder and never the best not welding often And trying to find the steel for the brackets.
I have seen some clamp on plows but they run over $1000. I still want the loader on to move snow banks back and I have a PTO snow blower that's great until I get the wet mush. So i need a clamp on plow for back up.

/ PLOW CUTTING AND WELDING BRACKETS #2  
I would suggest an angle grinder and a bunch of disks. Harbor freight would be the place to start.

/ PLOW CUTTING AND WELDING BRACKETS #4  
Also, the brackets for this seem like a great learning welding project. Nice thick sections to weld on and if they fail, probably no one dies.

/ PLOW CUTTING AND WELDING BRACKETS #5  
Also, the brackets for this seem like a great learning welding project. Nice thick sections to weld on and if they fail, probably no one dies.

Hashtag “probably”

One of the best posts I’ve seen in a while. LOL

/ PLOW CUTTING AND WELDING BRACKETS #6  
I have a old truck with a 8' old fisher plow. The truck isn't going but I want to take the plow off and salvage it. I want to cut it down to 6 feet and have it be a clamp on for my L3800 Kubota. How hard would it be to cut it with a recip saw or with cut off wheel on a circular saw? I am thinking of having someone fabricate some brackets for it, My welds are limited with a arc welder and never the best not welding often And trying to find the steel for the brackets.
I have seen some clamp on plows but they run over $1000. I still want the loader on to move snow banks back and I have a PTO snow blower that's great until I get the wet mush. So i need a clamp on plow for back up.

I used to use my bucket to move snow banks back for years. Last winter I mounted a 7-1/2' Fisher truck plow on my tractor. It is faster and easier to move the banks back than the bucket by far and you can stack the snow much higher. Maybe you have a different situation but that is my experience. Over a mile of road to plow and banks in the sharp turns and intersections. Average about 100" of snow per year so lots of pushing back along the road too..

gg

/ PLOW CUTTING AND WELDING BRACKETS #7  
SSQA loader or pins? I think the plow I built a mount for my former L3200 was a 7'. Good for most snows, but we get nasty packed drifts here in Colorado & I picked up a blower. Mostly plowed still, but needed the blower for windrows & drifts.

Be careful about making it stick out to much. My setup was a ways out & pushed the front end sideways a fair bit. If you can give it vertical float. Float on the loader doesnt really work well for plowing.
IMG_20150117_153824-1.jpgIMG_20150117_153817.jpgIMG_20150117_153836-1.jpg

/ PLOW CUTTING AND WELDING BRACKETS #8  
Loader float works awesome if you are in place that stays frozen all winter. If your ground is going through freeze thaw all winter the weight of the FEL can cause the blade to dig- even with shoes.

/ PLOW CUTTING AND WELDING BRACKETS
I would suggest an angle grinder and a bunch of disks. Harbor freight would be the place to start.

Cut off disks are a great idea, thanks. I can see eating them up so I'll get a bunch and return the rest.

Most of my welds function just fine and you are right this is a one driveway home job , nothing fancy just workable. I did all the welding on my home made splitter and that worked. I did blow the wedge weld after a few months on some nasty oak. I had a welder from work come over and re weld that after I cleaned it up. No more access to any fabrication or milling machines with my job now so that bites.

SSQA loader or pins? I think the plow I built a mount for my former L3200 was a 7'. Good for most snows, but we get nasty packed drifts here in Colorado & I picked up a blower. Mostly plowed still, but needed the blower for windrows & drifts.

Be careful about making it stick out to much. My setup was a ways out & pushed the
front end sideways a fair bit. If you can give it vertical float. Float on the loader doesnt really work well for plowing.

I got my snow blower a few years back when we had a snowy winter. My 3/4 ton Silverado with chains couldn't push back the banks so the loader was a plus but even then I had banks taller than the loader, not allot of spots to push snow. This year the truck is out, motor is shot after blowing oil lines. I am going simple on the plow, no hydraulics just fixed pin, this will keep the plow from sticking out to far and the 6'width to make a lighter push on the tractor. The bucket is not a quick connect just pinned on. I have front chains now on foam filled tires so that added weight will help, Rear tires are getting wheel spacers and chains this year.

I'll see what I can scrounge to make the brackets up. I wish I still had access to metal from work but the job change killed that. First I'll cut the plow to 6' and go from that.

/ PLOW CUTTING AND WELDING BRACKETS #10  
I’m not sure the width of your machine. Typically a plow is 12-18” wider than the machine. This way, when angled, it’s still a few inches wider than the track width.