Plow

/ Plow #1  

TonyTill

Tractor
MF451
I have a 2WD Massey Ferguson with a 2-Bottom Plow. I planted Sorghum-Sudan seed early in summer and it has been cut down twice. Now trying to Plow it. My draft control does not work on my tractor. 1) when I start to plow, my wheels start to spin and I need to raise the plow constantly. 2) with this cut Sorghum-Sudan seed, when I try to plow, besides my wheels spinning, the grass just builds up a large plug on my plow. Do I need to move my coulters back or sharpen them? How do I get me wheels to stop spinning? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

/ Plow #2  
For a 2-WD tractor to pull a 2-Bottom turning plow it is essential that the rear two tires be 3/4 filled with liquid, usually termed tire ballast, for traction.
Are your rear two tires filled with liquid?

It is also quite helpful if the 2-WD tractor is equipped with R1/agricultural tires, which have the protruding bar tread. With liquid ballast in the tires, R1 bar tread will provide optimum traction. Relatively lightly used tires will have sharper tread than old worn tires, gripping the earth better.

You are not trying to plow dry ground, are you?

Last edited:
   / Plow #3  
What model Massey do you have? What type of tires does it have?

How are the colters adjusted now. Depth, position in relation to land slide edge of bottom. All of these affect how they work.

How tall is the sorghum now?

/ Plow #4  
I have a 2WD Massey Ferguson with a 2-Bottom Plow. I planted Sorghum-Sudan seed early in summer and it has been cut down twice. Now trying to Plow it. My draft control does not work on my tractor. 1) when I start to plow, my wheels start to spin and I need to raise the plow constantly. 2) with this cut Sorghum-Sudan seed, when I try to plow, besides my wheels spinning, the grass just builds up a large plug on my plow. Do I need to move my coulters back or sharpen them? How do I get me wheels to stop spinning? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
What model Massey do you have and what brand and size plow(2-12 or 2-14 or2-16)?

/ Plow #5  

Massey Ferguson 451​

Massey Ferguson 451 tractor photo
2002 - 2006
400 Series
Utility tractor
Production
Manufacturer:Massey Ferguson
Type:Utility tractor
Factory:Brazil
Massey Ferguson 451 Weight
2WD Shipping:4,738 lbs
2149 kg

/ Plow #6  
The draft control does not work on my tractor.

The sensitivity of your Draft Control is adjusted by the pin position of the INBOARD end of your Three Point Hitch Top Link. Repositioning where your Top Link is pinned to the tractor may restore ((increase the sensitivity)) of Draft Control.

VIDEOS:

Last edited:
   / Plow #7  
Plowing techniques:

/ Plow #8  
2) with this cut Sorghum-Sudan seed, when I try to plow grass builds up a large plug on my plow. Do I need to move my coulters back or sharpen them?

You should not attempt to plow grass. The field should be mowed as short as possible before being plowed. You should plow stubble, not grass.

In the "old days" dry fields were burned after the harvest before being plowed a little before first frost.

You may need to adjust your coulters in or out. Consult FARMWITHJUNK in Post #7.

Last edited:
   / Plow #9  
Your tractor should have no problem pulling pulling two bottoms. I’d suggest that your furrow may be too shallow??? and you’re cutting through all the roots Plus you do not have a breaking mole board That properly turns the sod.

Ensure the plow is set up properly For furrow depth, pulls straight and is set in the proper lateral position with the share cutting level. All the cutting edges should be sharp with no rust on the plow where it engages the ground. Tall grass will plug up the plow.

plow share should be level at depth and pulling latterly to the Centre line of tractor. It may require an offset so rear tire falls in the furrow.

Last edited:
   / Plow
Your tractor should have no problem pulling pulling two bottoms. I’d suggest that your furrow may be too shallow??? and you’re cutting through all the roots Plus you do not have a breaking mole board That properly turns the sod.

Ensure the plow is set up properly For furrow depth, pulls straight and is set in the proper lateral position with the share cutting level. All the cutting edges should be sharp with no rust on the plow where it engages the ground. Tall grass will plug up the plow.

plow share should be level at depth and pulling latterly to the Centre line of tractor. It may require an offset so rear tire falls in the furrow.
Thanks. I put my left wheels up on 6x6 wood then tried 4x4" wood to see if it would prevent the plow from going too deep. I saw a video that the plow works best shifted about 4" to the left of center. Also need to straighten front to back of plow. I will reassess these. Thanks for the great feedback!