Plowing on gravel

/ Plowing on gravel #71  
First, practice. Gravel moves, so it's never going to be the same way twice. Which means plowing on it is more art and craft than science.

Second, go slow. It's the same as measuring twice and cutting once.

Third, have your hand on the controls so you can feather it as you go to keep from digging in too much. Plowing on loose gravel is very similar to plowing on unfrozen ground or mud.

/ Plowing on gravel #72  
Hello skyhook. Sorry it took a while to get a couple of pics of my setup that you asked for; I'm currently on crutches and a little slow. Anyway, here are a couple of shots of my gauge wheel setup. Let me explain that my plow is a 4 and 1/2 foot blade from an old Case tractor that I modified by adding a pair of homemade 1 foot wings. I had to mount the wheels on the wings to get them outboard enough so they wouldn't interfere with the crossbar at my maximum angle.

Attachments

• plow wheel 1.jpg
    plow wheel 1.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 327
  • plow wheel 2.jpg
    plow wheel 2.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 253
   / Plowing on gravel #73  
I work hard to get to the gravel. Use the FEL to dig down through the glacier and then back blade the ice and gravel together a couple of times. run up and down the drive with chains...flatten out the highs. Now when I walk to the shop or mail I don't go *** over teakettle. In the spring the gravel sorts itself out from the ice and then I get more seat time. oh what fun

/ Plowing on gravel #74  
Thanks for those pics, zmansmac, I saved them for future reference.
nice setup you have.:thumbsup: