Snow Attachments Plowing snow with a FEL?

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #11  
"I did see a picture of what appeared to be a standard snow plow that you could bolt on to the FEL. It looked like a good idea."

No matter if you use a front blade or rear blade, it's going to tend to push your tractor sideways a bit as you're plowing. To me, using a blade mounted on the FEL would cause lateral loads the loader isn't really designed for. I'd be a bit concerned about that. However, there are at least two TBNer's that do just that...I think Mark_in_NH is one of them, if I recall correctly.

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #12  
I've moved snow for years and years with a loader and no problems. Takes longer, but, no problems. This year I welded tangs in the floor of the bucket and mount an old Jeep 6 1/2 plow. No problems here either. I don't understand those hwo talk about side forces and such, we have a drive that is 1600 ft long, very rough and has some grade to it. My tractor does fine.

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #13  
I can't envision more side forces with snow versus using the FEL and having one corner of the bucket catch on the ground or a rock. This would be even less of an issue if you're using a blade with a trip-spring mechanism.

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #14  
Think I'd just stick to the Fel and if really wanted a back blade.

The steel cutting edge on the FEL will not damage your driveway and is very usefull removing ice. If it wears out replace it with one that is heavier. The heavier one will also make the bucket a whole pile stiffer.

Cutting edge comes in different thickness and width and should be stocked at most impliment dealers. It may be bolt on or weld on. I replaced my cutting edge with a 4x1/2 in. weld on. Dealer cuts it to your length and charges by the inch. Welding will require different rod than is normally used for mild steel.

Egon

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #15  
when I first got my tractor, first thing I did was to get a new Fisher snow plow blade, bolt it to the bottom of my bucket, then left an inch protruding on each side (74).. Makes the bucket heavier, and, I doubt it will ever wear as long as I have the machine. We do this to the JD 710 backhoe that I've used for many years doing large parking lots, it takes me into the third winter season before needing replacing. Have to remember, I do almost 250 miles each snow storm and get over 2 seasons, so a little 72" bucket and 1600 ft drive should go a life time or very near.

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #16  
"I can't envision more side forces with snow versus using the FEL and having one corner of the bucket catch on the ground or a rock."

Of course you're going straight when you hit the rock or other protrusion.
However a constant side load against the pins the the bucket, uprights and masts that pivot isn't part of the design.
Will this cause premature wear? Maybe so...maybe not. One of the posters mentioned rigging a plow to his Backhoe bucket with no adverse issues. I theorize (note..theorize) that users who remove their loaders may notice a twist sooner or later...little bit more difficulty in installing and removing that FEL. Then again, maybe not...

Just another opinion from a fellow TBNer!

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #17  
i just use the fel and a back blade, the fel is used 90% of the time for snow removal. a front blower is nice , but i don't like to give up the fel and a rear blower is not for me, i don't like twisting aroud to drive. have not run across any situations that the fel would not handel, and it is great for scraping ice and compaced snow off the drive.

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #18  
Larry..... you have to consider what each of us is talking about as far as the tractor is concerned. Your tractor is quite heavy. My tractor barely tips the scales at 2500 pounds. All this is relative. We still don't know anything about his conditions, what type of tractor he has in mind or any of the details of the tractors that people here are using for plowing. Does the tractor that they use weigh 2500 or 25000 pounds? All this makes a difference as you are well aware of. Lets all get on the same page for the discussion... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #19  
I use a rear blade here in the snow country of northern Vermont, with the FEL reserved for those occasions when I have to push back large mounds. Has worked just fine for years, and the rear blade comes in handy for recrowning the road, moving dirt, etc. Now and then I think of getting a front blade, but my system works fine so I won't mess with it. Pete

/ Plowing snow with a FEL? #20  
I suppose it depends on your snowfall. I did mine (a little over 1000') with my B7800 last November when we had a 30" plus snowfall and it was a long task that took most of the day. I have a substantial grade and tire chains would have certainly helped. You really can't push to much before it comes right back over the top of the bucket. I hired it out for the rest of the year! (Next year I am getting a 5' 3ph snow blower and the chains) With a 12" or less snowfall it would be much more manageable. We just got 6" last night so the gardening season just got further away!