Pls Recommend Mowing Solution for 10 Acre Rural Residential

/ Pls Recommend Mowing Solution for 10 Acre Rural Residential #1  

DaRube

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500HSD
20 years ago, I bought my first tractor, a Kubota B7500HSD with a 60" belly mower. It has strained to keep up with my property, which has 7 acres (out of 10 total) of mostly flat mowable land. I've been looking at ZTs, but want to size it right and open myself up to considering other brands, and other formats as well. The Kubota can still handle the lighter front loader and 3-pt hitch needs (or I can hire them out), so the new machine would be dedicated to mowing. What solutions should I be looking at?

/ Pls Recommend Mowing Solution for 10 Acre Rural Residential #2  
That's quite a task for such a low HP tractor for sure. Keep in mind that you'll practically have car money into a ZT that'd be big enough to make any appreciable difference in time and effort spent. Im certainly partial to tractors so I'd sell the b7500 and find a 40+ hp tractor and get a nice size 3pt finish mower or a small flexwing. Here's what I use sometimes. l6060 with a woods 90" finish mower.

IMG_20210421_191608_443.jpg

/ Pls Recommend Mowing Solution for 10 Acre Rural Residential #4  
I was in your exact same situation about 15 years ago - had the same B7500 hst with a belly mower; my first tractor.

Added on to my parcel though, and also wanted to finish mow about 5 acres now instead of 3, plus bush hog about 6 more.

Too much for the Kubota.

Bought a MF1540 hst with a 3 pt finish mower and a bush hog mower.

To cut to the chase, still took too long to finish mow, plus the lack of suspension on the tractor was killing my back.

I ended up buying a Ferris ZTR 33 hp diesel in 2009 to use for finish mowing. Is fast and has a suspension.

Still use my MF1540 for brush hogging and as a backup for snow removal.

/ Pls Recommend Mowing Solution for 10 Acre Rural Residential #5  
Ten acres is a lot of mowing on any sort of lawnmower. I do 10 acres up at the Church with a M7040 pulling a twin spindle Bush Hog 3008 mower. It doesn't do "groomed" but is a lot better than a single spindle bush hog, as long as I keep the blades sharp.
The reason I have that job is because the guy who does around the buildings with typical zero turns tried it once and came back to the Church saying they needed to find someone else to do it because it beat him up too much. Since then, several people have done donuts in the field with their vehicles, which just adds to the roughness, but my tractor pays very little attention to small bumps.
My thoughts, keep the little Kubota for around the house and get a larger tractor with a big bush hog for the outlying field.
David from jax

/ Pls Recommend Mowing Solution for 10 Acre Rural Residential #6  
I'm partial to fencing it in, fatten up 4 steers and put 1 or 2 in the freezer and selling the rest as beef to neighbors or friends. Hay lease works too if you have someone nearby that already does hay. A flock of meat hair sheep are reasonably easy to maintain as well.

If you are set on mowing pickup an 8ft finish mower from agrisupply and a 40hp tractor with cab and ac. Or just break up the mowing into 1 or 2 acres a day.

/ Pls Recommend Mowing Solution for 10 Acre Rural Residential #7  
At minimum, a 30+ HP ZTR (preferably a diesel) with a good suspension or air-ride seat. The Deere 997 (37 HP, IIRC) would be my choice.
Downside, a ZTR is, for the most part, a one task machine...also, rather expensive.

Here's another alternative:
Which can be a more versatile machine

If I didn't have occasional need for a loader and/or 540RPM PTO drive, I'd have gone for a 1500 series (the 1585 being top of the line) machine

Last edited:
   / Pls Recommend Mowing Solution for 10 Acre Rural Residential #9  
Fence it and get some steers or hogs and let them graze it or mow around the house and septic and let someone make hay

/ Pls Recommend Mowing Solution for 10 Acre Rural Residential #10  
I've never seen any animal eat enough grass that the area still doesn't need to be mowed.