Plug Aerator

/ Plug Aerator #1  

pajoube

Veteran Member
Tractor
Former Owner PowerTrac 425 (September 2003)
We have talked many times about what attachments are used most and are worth the money. But the end result is when the attachment is needed it is the best for that time. I just finished core aerating the lawn with the PT plug aerator and what a great job it does. Used only in the late fall or early spring when the lawn is wet for best results. Getting constant 2 to 3 inches plug removed.
PJ

/ Plug Aerator #2  
Was this your first try?? I've read where this is a good idea but wondering if the results are really worth the expense?

/ Plug Aerator #3  
Your soil type (Sand-loam-clay) and traffic load (No-light-medium-high) have a lot to do with whether this is unnecessary, optional, or required. Of course, your mowing habits, as well as watering and fertilizer affect how important this is as well. Bottom line, if your lawn is green enough and thick enough for you, it probably doesn't need aerating.

As concrete examples, clay soccer fields need regular aerating, while your grandparents' unused side lawn in Iowa, not so much....

Consumer Reports recently suggested that if you can push a screwdriver easily into your lawn, it didn't need aerating. Since this is obviously a highly technical test, your mileage may vary. :)

All the best,

Peter

Farmall140 said:
Was this your first try?? I've read where this is a good idea but wondering if the results are really worth the expense?

/ Plug Aerator #4  
I'm experimenting on an area of grass we have in several ways this year. In the autumn I intend to rent an areator for this area and see if next year I see any appreciable difference(to follow up with overseeding). Hoping to encourage more new grass growth once I overseed it. I also just spread some corn gluten meal there and intend to follow up in the autumn and do the same next year. This is a "natural" weed control and nitrogen addition. Since we are on well water I'm always concerned about what goes into the soil. If I see good results from the areation I intend to buy one from PT or elsewhere.

/ Plug Aerator
Farmall140 said:

This is the third time I have used the plug aerator but the first time I have really done the job going in two directions. Next time I will do in the fall as the plugs need the winter to break down. The lawn in front of the school house has never been thatched or raked so it was in bad shape and a very hard crust. I hope to have more info as summer approaches.
PJ