Plug for trailer lights hot!

/ Plug for trailer lights hot! #1  

woodchuckie

Platinum Member
Tractor
KUBOTA L 2800
I recently had my van wired so I could plug my utility trailer to it. When I was unplugging it after using it today I noticed the plug on the van was very hot. It has slightly bulged from the heat. The van lights work normally as do the lights on the trailer. It's a converter and was installed by U-HAUL.
What would cause this heat.

/ Plug for trailer lights hot! #2  
I recently had my van wired so I could plug my utility trailer to it. When I was unplugging it after using it today I noticed the plug on the van was very hot. It has slightly bulged from the heat. The van lights work normally as do the lights on the trailer. It's a converter and was installed by U-HAUL.
What would cause this heat.

Is it a 4-wire or a seven wire trailer hookup? It's pretty hard to miswire a 4-wire hookup but I have seen incorrectly wired 7-wire hookups. Just put a 4 wire converter on my Lesabre, the converter doesn't even get warm. I would say you have an incorrect wire hookup or the converter is defective. Just curious, are there any exterior lights near your trailer plug, or possibly an exhaust pipe?

/ Plug for trailer lights hot! #3  
Check to see if you have a good ground. It may be back feeding thru a stop light circuit. Of course, a corroded pin in the connector can have increased resistance and thus generates heat from that.

/ Plug for trailer lights hot! #4  
Good point...OP said "recent" so I didn't have any thought there might be corrosion on the plug...I was thinking of what he had installed, not the trailer itself.

/ Plug for trailer lights hot! #5  
Check to see if you have a good ground. It may be back feeding thru a stop light circuit. Of course, a corroded pin in the connector can have increased resistance and thus generates heat from that.

This is what happened to a Goose-neck set up of mine one time. Ground was loose.

/ Plug for trailer lights hot!
OK, after church today I'll be checking for corrosion because it is an old homemade trailer. The exhaust is halfway over between the hitch and the van rear lights.

thanks,

/ Plug for trailer lights hot! #7  
OK, after church today I'll be checking for corrosion because it is an old homemade trailer. The exhaust is halfway over between the hitch and the van rear lights.

thanks,

I was wondering if there was an external heat source that was causing the plug to get hot, appears that is not a factor. Please let us know what you learn.

/ Plug for trailer lights hot!
The hot spot is at the ground wire plug on the converter. The ground plug on the trailer seems to be a bit loose. Can't really tell because all four wires plug in together. I think I'll replace the trailer plug next time I'm in town to buy the plug.