Tires Plug or Remove and Repair?

/ Plug or Remove and Repair? #11  
I agree with sld and Egon; they're "on it." A small 12 vdc compressor is a handy thing. It won't seat a tire on the bead, but it will sure provide enough air to air up a rear tire eventually. The rear tires will look fully inflated about the time you get 12 to 15 psi of air in them. I normally run only about 25 psi in my rears.

Along with that, another thing that is handy is a jumper battery. A jumper battery and 12 vdc compressor that plugs into the jumper's cigarette lighter like socket will be handy for many things. Small 12 vdc compressors don't normally come with alligator clips for easy attachment to the tractor's battery. Most tractors don't come standard with power receptacles. If you are out in the middle of a field, you may not be able to drive a vehicle out. Even near my house with plenty of power and water, I find lots of uses for my jumper battery. These days you can find one with a built-in compressor too and lights.

Adam, we are spending a lot of your money, but these things will seem cheap if you ever get caught and don't have them available. Good luck with your repairs.:)

/ Plug or Remove and Repair? #12  
The trouble with many or most 12 volt air compressors is they can only run 10 minutes then must cool 10 minutes, and they put out very little air in that time. So yes, it would fill it, but be careful not to run it too long or it will burn out.

/ Plug or Remove and Repair?
Okay,

I found out today that there is water in the tire, just no evidence of the water leaking out from the tire. It is about 1/3 full of some kind of water solution. Was able to fill the tire with air but after pouring 3 gallons of water on the tire was unable to detect any bubbles or find the leak. Drove through a puddle next -- still no indication of where the leak is. Was told I could not put the 1 gallon of slime into tire because it would not seal the leak due to the water in the tire. My guess is the next time I go I will find the tire again deflated and will probably need to remove tire and take in for repair.

/ Plug or Remove and Repair? #14  
A filled tire may be heavier than you are expecting.

Even a tractor tire with only air is heavy, but filled is really getting up there, and can injure you seriously if it gets away from you,

Look up the weight before you decide to remove it yourself.

/ Plug or Remove and Repair? #15  
Any chance it is the valve? I had that on my Bobcat.

Any chance it is the valve? I had that on my Bobcat.

Poured water all over the valve stem and no bubbles. Valve is working when pressed it released air/water and when I put air in it takes the air without a problem. I just cannot understand why there is no water/solution leaking with the air? Maybe the hole is just too small to let out anything but air? Looking to check it out next week and see what it looks like.

Thanks again for all your posts and suggestions.

Adam

/ Plug or Remove and Repair? #17  
Adam, maybe the hole was at the top of the tire and only the air leaked out. If you put a little extra pressure into the tire and then soap it while rotating, you may be able to find the pinhole leak. For such a small hole, you will probably have to ream the hole out a little larger to get a plug in there. That's what irritates me about plugging.

Adam, maybe the hole was at the top of the tire and only the air leaked out. QUOTE]

The thought crossed my mind Jinman. I'll go back with the jack and bring soap and a sponge next time around. Thanks for the suggestion was not sure what my next steps would be but that sounds like a good starting point. I'll let you know how it goes. Fortunate to get the food plots planted before the flat!

Adam

/ Plug or Remove and Repair? #19  
Reading all this brings up a question, does anyone know of a Slime like substance that can go into a loaded tire?
I know motorcyclists use a substance called Ride On that is water soluable, cleans out with water, but not a loaded tire.
With such a slow leak it would be nice to have.

Jim,

I used water with soap and found the leak. Pluged the hole and back on my way.

Adam