Plugged grease passageway

/ Plugged grease passageway #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
Looking for ideas to clear a grease passageway.

edit: added a pic of where its plugged kx41boompin_drawing.jpg

This is the lower boom pivot pin on a KX41 mini-excavator. The passageways to the left side bushing (black) are plugged. Can't get any pressure because the grease passes by and out the right side.. In the pic it's wet because I've soaked it down with PB Blaster penetrating oil.

416842d1426479327-plugged-grease-passageway-kx41boompivot-jpg

Wiggling the hydraulics, I can see movement (a little slop) in all joints except the far left side of the orange clevis. Which is OK. I removed the crossbolt and hammered on the pin, HARD, It doesn't move & will require a press I think.

Can anybody suggest any more tricks (before I get serious and press the pin out)? I don't have a press, will have to build one. The plan is to drive it to the left until the grease hole emerges, and clear it out. If I could get the joint to accept some grease without having to press that pin out, I'd prefer that.

Attachments

• KX41boompivot.jpg
    KX41boompivot.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 1,048
Last edited:
   / Plugged grease passageway #2  
Try greasing with the bucket on the ground and the boom lifting the machine a little. Sometimes my backhoe won't take grease and I do this. Did you try taking off the zert fitting and wiggling some small wire up in the hole. There is a tool that has oil in it that you hit with a hammer and force the oil to push the hardened grease out. I never used one, but I am told they work. The pin might move if you try the same bucket on the ground trick. Sometimes you just gotta try different positions.;)
hugs, Brandi

/ Plugged grease passageway #3  
It looks like the challenge would be to unload that joint to remove the pin. Unloaded the pin will move easier and there will be less chance of damage/danger/impossible to re-insert (i.e. if it is not moving easily don't remove it.) There may be a position with the bucket under the center of gravity of the boom that unloads the joint but if it's unsupported there is significant risk involved in driving the pin out.

Brandi's idea of FIRST trying the grease under a variety of loading conditions is a great one to overcome your path of least resistance problem. Include side loading (put the bucket down and put the swing in a little bit of a bind). There may be a condition that restricts the far side and opens up the near side. Pump the grease in a fast pulse. Maybe you can wrap some kind of packing around the far side to help increase pressure. I would squirt a whole grease cartridge through it trying this before I rigged up a hoist to drive that pin out.

/ Plugged grease passageway #4  
As grease does not mary well with dust/dirt, it makes for a mixture that is gets verry hard over time; therefore restricting the flow input from fresh grease.
If no danger to surrounding seals and/or hoses, and the like, I would take the reliable torch out, and give the joint area a good warm-up. As the sludge will "liquify", dripping off may start. At this point, I would pump up the grease gun to permit further dislogement of the old packed grease. If this helps, then the pin could probably easily be dislodged. A thorough clean-up should ensue.

/ Plugged grease passageway #5  
I would take the reliable torch out, and give the joint area a good warm-up.

+1 on this. I have found a good propane torch to be my best friend in cases like this. It's amazing how hard the grease can get when it mixes with dust and micro-fine dirt particles, and the heat will really help to soften it up.

/ Plugged grease passageway #6  
+2. I'd remove the grease nipple and heat from the end of the pin to try to melt it all out. Keep a hose or fire extinguisher hands just to be sure. Once the dripping subsides, put the nipple back in and try to pump it up.

/ Plugged grease passageway
Thx for ideas. I've tried every boom position imagineable. Can't use grease pressure to unplug it the grease just goes on past. Can't build pressure on the left side, unless I can figure out a way to stop up the right side. I don't know where the hole is either. This pin having two grease outlets seems doomed for failure.

Here's a pic (from my mind's eye :D)

I added this drawing to the #1 post to increase chances that someone can help with a trick. I've has this trouble in the past, but just had to remove the pin and clear it. But nowadays we have FORUMS! Lots of clever folks sharing tricks!

416885d1426517188-plugged-grease-passageway-kx41boompin_drawing-jpg

I wonder how hard it would be to drill into the center, and thread it (where the bolt plugs the passageway). Then I could try "pressure methods". And then replace the bolt with a smaller setscrew that doesn't plug it.

Last edited:
   / Plugged grease passageway #8  
If the pin isn't coming out easy it probably has a groove warn in it try turning the pin as you tap it.

/ Plugged grease passageway
Pin is flush on each end, there's no way to get a grip to rotate it.

Easy to find a boom position where the pin appears to be "unloaded", goofing with the boom control can see it slopping in 3 of the holes - the 3 right holes. It seems to be stuck in the one left hole. Which isn't a bad deal, I think I could win if I started in on it with gusto.

For now looking for tricks - want to try to outsmart this thing before resorting to brute force.