Plugging exhaust while trailering

/ Plugging exhaust while trailering #1  

Dan Hunter

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 3720 eHydro
The manual indicates I should plug the exhaust on my 3720 while trailering to prevent spinning the turbine in the turbocharger when there's no oil supply. I suppose it's possible the engine could shut down with some overlap. Whatever.

So, is anyone actually following this guidance and if so what are you using to plug the exhaust?

/ Plugging exhaust while trailering #2  
A couple strips of Duck Tape over the exhuast outlet is all it takes.

/ Plugging exhaust while trailering #3  
All it takes is a little foil and/or duct tape.

But I can't tell you the number of times our fork lifts, welding machines, genny's and compressors have been returned to our shop by an trucker without the exhaust being plugged and no harm was done.

/ Plugging exhaust while trailering #4  
All it takes is a little foil and/or duct tape.

But I can't tell you the number of times our fork lifts, welding machines, genny's and compressors have been returned to our shop by an trucker without the exhaust being plugged and no harm was done.
Depending on the exhaust orientation I would go with the major issue being heavy rain.
larry

/ Plugging exhaust while trailering
I don't have a vertical stack and the manual doesn't mention rain but specifically mentions the turbine spinning.

/ Plugging exhaust while trailering #6  
What are you asking? It seems like the answer is, yes - you should plug it and follow the manual. If by chance you forget, don't kill yourself with worry and guilt. But you won't recieve reinforcement to not follow the manufacturers sound recommendation

/ Plugging exhaust while trailering #7  
What are you asking? It seems like the answer is, yes - you should plug it and follow the manual. If by chance you forget, don't kill yourself with worry and guilt. But you won't recieve reinforcement to not follow the manufacturers sound recommendation

Many years ago I recall a trucker friend of the family that got in a pinch because a couple loads of new CATs had turbo failures, and after a while Cat figured out it was from the turbos spinning during transport.
I always remembered that. I think it is a good rule of thumb to cover the exhaust, but I'm sure not all machines would be affected due to differences in exhaust system geometry.

/ Plugging exhaust while trailering #8  
I have a 4720 and my manual says the same thing. I have the stock exhaust not the vertical exhaust mod kit. I stuff a standard shop rag in the throat of the exhaust where it is half in and half out. Seems to work well and is easily removed. Never had a problem and have been doing this for 5 years now. One time I did forget to remove it and as I cranked the engine I saw the shop rag pop out before the engine caught so no problem with back-pressure dangers if you screw up and forget. Don't recommend you make a habit of it though.

/ Plugging exhaust while trailering
That's what I'm looking for, Furu. Thanks.

/ Plugging exhaust while trailering #10  
Make or acquire a simple "Flapper", Nothing to remember or forget.

They can be made for vertical, Horizontal and even down pointing.

May years ago we had an old Massy and kept a soup can on the vertical pipe.
Old baby had to be hand cranked. Most always started with a back fire. Can would fly 15 20 feet into the air. :dance1: