Plumbing in shop.. but septic is "uphill from there".. options?

/ Plumbing in shop.. but septic is "uphill from there".. options? #1  

legbuh

Silver Member
Hi all!

At our place we have a 25x36 heated and insulated pole barn/shop. I am getting quotes on adding onto it and adding an office (so when done it will be 50x36 with an office of about 10x16).

It would be nice to add a toilet and sink. But, it's downhill and about 200 feet away from the septic where the sewage exits the house and enters the first tank (then the 2nd tank, then the mound system).

Besides pumping uphill are there any other ways this could be done? Maybe with a small pit, or something that mimicks a sort of porta potty? Or any other options?

Already have a water line run to right outside the shop and a hydrant hooked up, so it is possible to run water if needed by splicing that line I imagine (I have some friends that do directional boring that could do that part).

Or, I could just mount a urinal on the wall with a pipe going to the ground outside.. lol..

/ Plumbing in shop.. but septic is "uphill from there".. options? #2  
We built a changing shed with a toilet by my buddies pond that is only used a few times a year and for parties. We buried 2 plastic 55 gallon drums with some holes in them covered with gravel then dirt. Septic treatment a few times a year. 15 plus years and it is still flushing fine. Not up to code by any means, but it worked

/ Plumbing in shop.. but septic is "uphill from there".. options? #3  
I'd plant a bush outside the door. Just kind of kidding there. Here the only legal ways I know of would be to pump it or put in another septic. You have a mound system so I am guessing your ground doesn't perk well. People have been putting in home made systems for years with 55 gal drums and some perforated pipe. Guess I would look at how regulated I am and how much use I planned and go from there.

MarkV

/ Plumbing in shop.. but septic is "uphill from there".. options? #5  
Watch out, in my county, even adding a carport will require a septic inspection. I just use the PEE gravel out side an unused door. And run for the house for #2. But I recall seeing people making a draining cistern out of cement and beer/pop cans in a circle with some gravel in a 30 year old now mother earth mag. Letting the cement set then taking the ends out of the cans.

Good Luck

/ Plumbing in shop.. but septic is "uphill from there".. options? #6  
I bet it gets cold in the winter in MN.

If your shop is heated, stepping outside is not going to be a lot of fun. OTOH, a 5 gallon bucket is ~$3.00 at the big box stores. A lid for it is another dollar.

When I am hunting, I can wash my hands 5 or 6 times with a 1/2 liter bottle of water and liquid dishwashing soap. Even after dressing out a deer or elk. That same bucket will hold the rinse water.

If I ever told my wife these facts she would think it was disgusting, but she doesn't work in my shop...

/ Plumbing in shop.. but septic is "uphill from there".. options? #8  
I would say it all depends on where you are located (i.e. how rural) and if anyone will see you doing the work. If it's visible to the outside world, you'll probably have to do a sump and either have it pumped regularly or pump it uphill (not pleasant when the pump fails!) If it's not, then I would go with a buried 55 gallon drum and maybe a stick of perforated pipe as a leach field.

Good luck and take care.