Plumbing question

/ Plumbing question #1  

GarthH

Silver Member
Hi guys - I don't know why I would ask a plumbing question on a tractor site except I know the hybrid talents that most acreage owners possess.

Anyway I need to run a line outside. There is a line going outside that I clipped with the tractor mowing the grass. Anyway the existing pipe looks like it was glued or cemented into the wall so I've decided to drill a new hole and fill the old pipe.

Anyway the exising run has a copper 90 then it is attached to the connection into the plastic water pipe. The connection looks like it has a plastic collar that I am guessing is acting as the clamp between the copper and the plastic.

If I use the torch to remove the 90 I'm expecting I would melt the clamp?

I've never worked with the plastic pipe before. Is there a simple connector to go from the plastic to the 3/4" copper? How do the clamps work - is there a special tool to set them?

I've been fortunate that most of the year has been wet, then some heat, then another storm. We have not needed the outside water but now were in the high 80's and low 90's my wife is saying now is the time - of course she is right - I would always say that anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Garth

/ Plumbing question #2  
You need to more accurately describe your plastic pipe for us to help. There are many types out there, and what you have will effect how to repair it.

I am betting PVC, but one thing I learn in these forums, is that what I expect is not always what is there :)

Is a picture possible?

Can you go back and cut into known good copper, then they make adapters of all sorts to go to any type plastic you would like.

Little time on Lowes plumbing aisle will probably answer a lot of questions.

Lowes here carries a valve that you buy the valve, then you buy the two ends to go onto whatever you would like, say, 3/4 copper on one side, and 3/4 PVC on the other.

When it comes to plumbing, valves are my freinds.

/ Plumbing question #3  
Most good hardware stores and all good plumbing supply outlets will have connectors made out of rubber with stainless steel clamps that will enable you to connect most any kind of pipe to most any other kind of pipe assuming that these pipes are not pressure lines.