Plywood or sheathing on interior wall question - Bathroom remodel

/ Plywood or sheathing on interior wall question - Bathroom remodel #11  
What do you use for sheathing and what thickness? Plywood or new grade of OSB like Advantech or ZIP? I was thinking about using RED ZIP sheathing as the moisture barrier is already applied and all I would need is to tape up the seams. I built a big pump-house using both these products and I am embarrassed to say they have been exposed to the weather for several years with no delamination even on the unprotected edges. My one concern would be I don't think they hold screws as well as plywood.

You would be better off with actual plywood, it has ply's like in it's name where as the OSB is just shavings glued together.

/ Plywood or sheathing on interior wall question - Bathroom remodel #12  
When applying a water proofing membrane such as schluter products (which we normally use) we use 5/8 plywood. Been to some of their classes and had reps on a couple of jobs. Seems wafer board is a bit of a issue on walls so we just avoid it.

/ Plywood or sheathing on interior wall question - Bathroom remodel
When applying a water proofing membrane such as schluter products (which we normally use) we use 5/8 plywood. Been to some of their classes and had reps on a couple of jobs. Seems wafer board is a bit of a issue on walls so we just avoid it.

Schluter was what I was planning to use. Redlands Okie, just to make sure I didn't misunderstand your process. It is:

- 5/8" plywood screwed to studs (24" OC ok)
- Cement backer board screwed to plywood
- WP Membrane over backer board
- Tile

Appreciate your time.

/ Plywood or sheathing on interior wall question - Bathroom remodel #14  
Almost overkill - should be fine!

/ Plywood or sheathing on interior wall question - Bathroom remodel #15  
Schluter was what I was planning to use. Redlands Okie, just to make sure I didn't misunderstand your process. It is:

- Tile

Appreciate your time.

Yes on the above. Read the hardi backer instructions carefully. For walls,
Proper screws spaced correctly. 8 inch max I think.
Materials do not quite touch the tub if there is one or the floor or shower pan, 1/4 inch gap filled with caulk, urethane or silicone.
Use proper alkali resistant tape on all seems.
Keep the surface damp while applying the schluter. It really makes a difference. Do not get to far ahead of the damp areas. Just wipe it with a wet sponge before applying the thin set and Kerdi.

Yes it cost more but you could apply 3/4 inch schluter Kerdi foam board over 24 inch studs and be done. Ready to lay tile.

P.S. check with you local building official but in my area 5/8 water resistant sheetrock over 24 inch studs covered with Kerdi will meet codes just fine.

/ Plywood or sheathing on interior wall question - Bathroom remodel #16  

- Tile

Appreciate your time.
I would probably glue and screw the backer board just to stiffen things up a little more, but that's just me.

Aarib Z

/ Plywood or sheathing on interior wall question - Bathroom remodel #17  
I would add studs to places if you can the add horizontal cross supports as well. You just need to support behind it so if someone falls against the wall it doesn't flex and crack. Then liquid nail it and screw it.

/ Plywood or sheathing on interior wall question - Bathroom remodel #18  
No reason for the Hardi board over plywood. Use Schuster membrane over 5/8 ply. Avoid wafer crap. Hardi doesn't add anything to the mix other tha. Thickness. On floor, you do need proper rigidity, single sheet of ply might not be enough...
Oh, definitely add wood studs and cross block for handles. And write down or take picts of where you put them......

/ Plywood or sheathing on interior wall question - Bathroom remodel #19  
It was not uncommon a few years back to see 24 inch spacing when 2x6s were used on exterior walls. If additional studs were added one might for the small space just go to 12 oc.

/ Plywood or sheathing on interior wall question - Bathroom remodel #20  
I used Kerdi Board on a shower project in the past and it worked well. It's not the cheapest option but it's easy to work with and fast.