Points on 57 Farmall 130

/ Points on 57 Farmall 130 #1  

upgw

Gold Member
Tractor
2001 Kubota BX2200, 2011 Hustler Super Z 31 Kawi
Any tricks to gapping the points on a Farmall 130? I know they get set to .020, but I can't get the engine to stop at TDC (top of the lobe) to gap them. I don't have a crank and can't turn the engine by hand. It had no spark and wouldn't start, I checked voltage everywhere and it's good. Points were badly burned and there was a LOT of gap between the rubbing block and the flat of the shaft, and the shaft was bone dry. I'm guessing they were barely opening and burned. I dressed them and eyeballed the gap and she fired right up, but I'd like to get the gap right on at .020.

Thanks,
- Patrick

/ Points on 57 Farmall 130 #2  
If you have a tractor salvage yard near by, try buying a crank.
Don't think it be more then a few bucks...

If no crank is available, you can turn the engine with a large screw
driver by engaging the teeth on the fly wheel. The engine will rotate
easier if the spark plugs are first remove...

If nothing change from earlier models A, B, & C, you'll also find your
timing marks on the fly wheel.

Richard
West Michigan

/ Points on 57 Farmall 130 #3  
Unbscrew the spark plugs, block the clutch down.. and then you can turn it over by hand with the fan belt.

Soundguy

/ Points on 57 Farmall 130 #4  
Scribe the position of the dist. in relation to the block and mark the position of the rotor in relation to the dist housing/cap and remove the dist. and replace the points etc. while held in place in your bench vise . Wrap the dist housing in a rag to avoid damage while in the vise. re-install dist according to your markings and fire it up !! walla !! Properly set points without even cranking the engine over at all........Tom