Poison Oak Everywhere!

/ Poison Oak Everywhere! #1  

ajllynco

Tractor
Ford 1710
I recently bought 3 acres of which 1 acre is completely infested with poison oak. I'd like to start prepping the ground for planting Bermuda, fence it, and turn out my 2 horses there. What can I do to get rid of the poison oak? I have a JD 3032e and numerous implements. TIA

/ Poison Oak Everywhere! #2  
   / Poison Oak Everywhere! #3  
Foliar spray Triclopyr works well on poison oak when its growing. The advantage is that it won't kill the grass. 2,4d will kill everything.

If your PO is in tall bushes or even short ones you need to rip it out or mow it down first. The best time is in the winter when the leaves are off. The stems still contain Urushiol but there's a lot less surface area to spread it. I'd still stay well away from the mower and take all precautions afterwards such as washing any exposed skin. Whatever you do, don't burn it. The smoke will do to your lungs what the leaves do to your skin.

Once you have the bushes removed you can go over the area in spring and summer with Triclopyr. You'll have to keep at it for a number of years to kill the roots underground and exhaust the seed bank.

For large plants I use 25% Triclopyr in oil. Applied to a short section of stem, it soaks in and kills the plant in a month or so.

/ Poison Oak Everywhere! #4  
I recently bought 3 acres of which 1 acre is completely infested with poison oak. I'd like to start prepping the ground for planting Bermuda, fence it, and turn out my 2 horses there. What can I do to get rid of the poison oak? I have a JD 3032e and numerous implements. TIA
Where are you located? not that it matters, I'm just curious. I don't know how familiar you are with poison oak so if you forgive me if I am telling you stuff you know. First of all don't burn it. Second, all parts of the plant are poisonous. Even dead roots can cause problems. If you are cutting unknown roots and the cots turn black after a few hours then they are poison oak. My Younger brother, who knows all about plants, uses Roundup, I think. Anyway, I'll shoot him an email and ask what he does to get rid of the stuff.
Eric

/ Poison Oak Everywhere! #7  
My Irish Dexters love that stuff.....

/ Poison Oak Everywhere! #8  
Foliar spray Triclopyr works well on poison oak when its growing. The advantage is that it won't kill the grass. 2,4d will kill everything.

If your PO is in tall bushes or even short ones you need to rip it out or mow it down first. The best time is in the winter when the leaves are off. The stems still contain Urushiol but there's a lot less surface area to spread it. I'd still stay well away from the mower and take all precautions afterwards such as washing any exposed skin. Whatever you do, don't burn it. The smoke will do to your lungs what the leaves do to your skin.

Once you have the bushes removed you can go over the area in spring and summer with Triclopyr. You'll have to keep at it for a number of years to kill the roots underground and exhaust the seed bank.

For large plants I use 25% Triclopyr in oil. Applied to a short section of stem, it soaks in and kills the plant in a month or so.
24D will not kill grass. It is only active on broadleaf plants. Roundup (glyphosate) will kill any green growing plant including grass.