Polarize the generator

/ Polarize the generator #1  

Enrico8n47

Tractor
1947 Ford 8n
What is the procedure to polarize the 6v generator? I replaced the generator, and was told it has to be polarized in order to work properly, somehow Via the voltage regulator. There are 4 wires going into the voltage regulator: 2 on top, one on the left (from seat position), and one below. The previous owner painted over the VR, so I have no idea what the 4 wires are for, and they're virtually impossible to trace unless I disassemble the hood/gas tank. Most of the VRs I've seen have 3 wires. Your thoughts and direction on this are appreciated.

/ Polarize the generator #3  
What is the procedure to polarize the 6v generator? I replaced the generator, and was told it has to be polarized in order to work properly, somehow Via the voltage regulator. There are 4 wires going into the voltage regulator: 2 on top, one on the left (from seat position), and one below. The previous owner painted over the VR, so I have no idea what the 4 wires are for, and they're virtually impossible to trace unless I disassemble the hood/gas tank. Most of the VRs I've seen have 3 wires. Your thoughts and direction on this are appreciated.
I am also only familiar with a 3-wire voltage regulator on 8Ns. Perhaps the 4th wire grounds it? That said, you really need to know which terminal is which because you can immediately ruin the regulator if you touch a jumper wire to the wrong terminal. You usually take a short wire and just briefly touch the BAT connector with the ARM (may be labeled GEN) connector. This will create a spark and your charging system will be polarized. If you touch the FLD connector you will nuke your regulator.