Pole Barn advice

/ Pole Barn advice #1  

Case970

I am going to build a 30x40 machinery shed with 12 feet of clearance under the header and one 40-foot side open with three bays. I have gotten proposals from a half-dozen companies, and the prices range from $10,250 to $13,500. Right now I am leaning toward Durabilt, which came in at $10,520 on a building that includes 1-foot overhang on each 40-foot side.
Does anyone have any opinion on Durabilt? The other company I'm considering is the National Barn Company.
Also, are overhangs critical? And does it make a difference if the posts are 4x6 or 6x6 (both pressure treated)?
For a couple thousand more I can have the building enclosed with a 16x12 split slider.
Lastly, do you think I can find a better price out there?
The building will be used to store farm machinery (biggest if the Gleaner F2 combine, which is 10'3" high). Thanks in advance for any help.

/ Pole Barn advice #2  
Overhangs helps keep the water away from the building and with the posts it all depends on snow load and such depending where you are at. Personally I would check with your local building inspector on requirements

Dan

/ Pole Barn advice #3  
If you mean Durabilt out of Ohio, I ordered a 2 story Gambrel roof 24x40 and an 8x40 ft foot bay on one side for storage from them about 4-5 years ago. For the building permit the inspector required me to get the trusses certified and Durabilt did that for me. The construction came out very nice. It all depends on the builder they contract with. Mine did a good job. I had a concrete floor poured in it and I framed, wired and insulated the interior myself. I used drywall on the lower half of the walls and plywood on the upper half. Had electric run from a pole to it with a 150 amp service. Mine is a shop mainly for woodworking. I also heat it with a corn/pellet stove and spend a good deal of time in it most winter weekends.
Overall, I would recommend them.

/ Pole Barn advice #4  
Case970 over hangs are worth the money.I would look at each companies
construction details.Such as pole spacing,truss spacing. roof,wall,perlins
spacing.That way comparing pricing you have comparison on amount of materials used on your barn.Good luck. Framer

/ Pole Barn advice #5  
I am going to build a 30x40 machinery shed with 12 feet of clearance under the header and one 40-foot side open with three bays. I have gotten proposals from a half-dozen companies, and the prices range from $10,250 to $13,500. Right now I am leaning toward Durabilt, which came in at $10,520 on a building that includes 1-foot overhang on each 40-foot side.
Does anyone have any opinion on Durabilt? The other company I'm considering is the National Barn Company.
Also, are overhangs critical? And does it make a difference if the posts are 4x6 or 6x6 (both pressure treated)?
For a couple thousand more I can have the building enclosed with a 16x12 split slider.
Lastly, do you think I can find a better price out there?
The building will be used to store farm machinery (biggest if the Gleaner F2 combine, which is 10'3" high). Thanks in advance for any help.

If possible, make the rounds and physically look at the structures of the companies you are working with--most will be happy to give you references with locations.
When I had my 30X60 shop built, I visited the company to see their operation and how they handled their material etc. They also showed me a couple of their finished buildings. Bottom line, they got my business. Beat out the local guys both on quality and price.

/ Pole Barn advice #6  
If you are trying to save money, space the poles as far apart as possible.
Fewer pieces = fewer holes, fewer poles, & less money.

I had a 42' x 80' shed built. After the initial sticker shock, we spaced the bays at 10' o.c. and that saved a nice chunk of money, and the shed size remained the same.

Regards,

Yooper Dave

/ Pole Barn advice #7  
I had national barn company in TN come to Virginia and build a 30'x50' pole barn about 6 years ago and it was $8400. My neighbor built one about 3 years ago and his was $9200. Cost steel had gone up. Mine has a 10' slider on one end and a 12' slider on the other with a regular 36" door entrance. They built the barn in 3 days and did a great job. I know about 7 farmers who have used them since I built mine. Mine matches my house, it has clay metal sides and a copper roof. Mine was the basic pole barn.

Pole Barn Buildings, Horse Barns & Post-Frame Buildings & - National Barn Company®

/ Pole Barn advice #8  
I have an F2. Well, I have all of them, F, F2, & F3 in various condition.

Not a vary big building, I'd try to spend a little more on a little wider or deeper if at all possible. The combine will fill it. But I know, we all have a budget!

I have a 17 foot door, and always have to be careful getting the 13 foot headers in the door. The F3 I got has a 15 foot header, and it does not fit in my shed door. By about 2-3 inches.

Be sure you have your door size figured out right!

As to posts, you need enough wood to hold up the building, either will work with the right engineering design. Myself with the poor quality of wood these days I prefer the nailed together 2x6 posts, they will stay straighter, and only use PT for the parts that are below ground, saving money & future rusting issues (with today's pressure treatment) above ground.

Overhang is good, depends on where you live tho, up here in snow country it is very good, if you are in a dry area with little snow then might not matter.

--->Paul

/ Pole Barn advice #9  
I have a quote from Durabilt for a 40x60 gambrel barn. I have not gotten to speak to them in detail yet, but what did they tell you about the load bearing of the loft? I want to use the loft for hay storage and for my woodshop.

/ Pole Barn advice #10  
I have a quote from Durabilt for a 40x60 gambrel barn. I have not gotten to speak to them in detail yet, but what did they tell you about the load bearing of the loft? I want to use the loft for hay storage and for my woodshop.
Could you share your quote with us. I'm always looking at barns and Durabilt are one of the few that offer Gambrel roofs..
I'm looking at something like 32x40 or 32x48. I'm still preping the area where the barn will go so I'm not ready for a real quote.

Wedge