Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #11  
The deepth of the post serves 2 main purposes, for shear strength and frost protection. If you are sheathing it all anyways then I wouldn't be too worried about shear. The frost part could be a little tricky depending on where you live. If you holes are below your frost depth I would just throw the post in, back fill, and move on. Do you know what your frost depth is?

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #12  
Frost has to get below the rock you can't drill through. In other words, the rock becomes an extension of the pole, per say.

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #13  
Frost has to get below the rock you can't drill through. In other words, the rock becomes an extension of the pole, per say.

Only if you addiquitly fasten the post to the rock though. If you just set the post oe concrete pad on top of the rock, above the frost line, then moisture can get between to post and the rock, and freeze. Hence the question of the frost depth.

If the top of rock is above the frost line then the "right" thing to do would be to drill and epoxy rebar into the rock. Then tie the rebar into a concrete pad that the post is anchored to, or into. Or drill and epoxy a base plate/bracket to the rock for the post to anchor to.

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #14  
I wonder - why couldn't he just use the round cardboard concrete forms, pour concrete into them with the post holders inserted before they cure, then attach the posts to that? Wouldn't that solve the problem? Or, would it create something else?

I guess that still does not solve the frost line issue though. nrc, where you located? In my area, frost line is only about 2', maybe less.

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12
Thanks for all the replies! You guys are great. I am just outside of Nashville, TN. Anybody have a current frost line map?

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #16  
Thanks for all the replies! You guys are great. I am just outside of Nashville, TN. Anybody have a current frost line map?
I would not worry too much about frost at your location.

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #17  
Quesstimate after a google search.
12". About how deep are you holes now?

Wedge

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #18  

Wedge

12" would be the frost line, right? That sounds about right; in Tulsa, we need to bury our water lines 24" deep, or 12" below the frost line.

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12

Wedge

Thanks! I would say they are all at least 12". If not, I can dig it out a bit with the bobcat bucket if necessary. Can move some rocks this way that the auger would not think about budging.

So, should I just sit the pole in the hole, get it squared up and braced then pour a 60# bag of quikrete around it? What do you think about putting a short piece of rebar through the pole first?

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #20  
pouring a small concrete pad at the bottom to set the pole on

I think this is a bad idea.
From my limited knowledge you want gravel at the base so water does not settle at the base of the pole and induce rot..I have heard no concrete at all is preferable. just pea gravel, that allows for settling and over time the gravel sets the pole itself tight.