Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12
FINALLY- We got all of the trusses set yesterday. We ended up renting a telescoping forklift to do the job. It was very time consuming for us. Probably because there was just two of us and this was our first time. But, we got it done safe and successfully!

Trusses by nrc17gto, on Flickr

I'll try to take some more pictures today with all of them up.

Nick

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #53  
hey great lookin start to you barn.
I got a question for you.....im planning on building a 30x40x16 pole barn in a week or so.
I plan on using 6x6 posts 3' in the ground and a 2x6 PT skirt board to allow for the concrete 4" floor to be put in.....Since how im gonna be basing my entire shop off the level of the skrit board what is the best way and most accurate way to get the skirt board level?

Thanks,
Matt

hey great lookin start to you barn.
I got a question for you.....im planning on building a 30x40x16 pole barn in a week or so.
I plan on using 6x6 posts 3' in the ground and a 2x6 PT skirt board to allow for the concrete 4" floor to be put in.....Since how im gonna be basing my entire shop off the level of the skrit board what is the best way and most accurate way to get the skirt board level?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,

I would not say I am an expert by any means, but I can tell you what we did. We used a line level. To compensate for sag from the weight of the line, we stretched it between a few poles then put a nail partially in and stretched it again.

Someone else here may have a much better method. Good luck with your build!

Nick

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #55  
Nick,
Thanks for you info i appriciate it. This is my first pole barn and im just nervous on getting the barn all leveled up. My wife just wants to hire a guy and have them build it but i think thats just gonna be a little to much money so im gonna tackle the job myself....lol

So you guys just streched a string from one side to the other, and used a line level. ok if i read that correctly you used some stakes underneath the line to stop the string from saging so much then marked the line on the posts and slaped the skirt board up.

Or did you just streach the line really tight using batter boards on each end
Thanks,
Matt

This is my first pole barn too. ;) If you look back through this thread you can probably tell...haha.

We didn't use stakes. We would basically stretch the line level across 3 poles, get that level, drive a nail partially in on the third pole in the correct place to support the line, then go three more poles and repeat. We used batter boards to square up the building but not for leveling the skirt boards.

Again, this may not be the best way but just the way we did it. Hopefully, others on here will chime in with a much smarter way.

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #57  
ok i get it now, thanks for the input. Well with this being your first pole barn it seems like everything work out for ya..good job.

So yea your method sounds pretty much fool proof...easy and level. then after you get the nails all the way around you can just hang the skirt board on the top of the nails or put them on the bottom and it should be perfectly level after that. Then probably take a 6' level and double check it again before you secure it to the posts.
Sounds good thanks alot,
Matt

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #58  
mfairbank,
Do yourself a favor and pick one of these up , about $80.00. Mine came with a small tripod and the unit is self leveling. All you need is no sun light and you will be good to go. The spread on the laser beam is really wide and if not wide enough just turn the head after the first half is marked. I marked all four corners of my new in progress pole building without turning the unit 20 ft X 32 ft building. Right tool for the job within reason.
Stanley Laser Level.jpg

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #59  
mfairbank,
Do yourself a favor and pick one of these up , about $80.00. Mine came with a small tripod and the unit is self leveling. All you need is no sun light and you will be good to go. The spread on the laser beam is really wide and if not wide enough just turn the head after the first half is marked. I marked all four corners of my new in progress pole building without turning the unit 20 ft X 32 ft building. Right tool for the job within reason.
View attachment 215164

Gizmo,
That sounds about perfect, so can you set the tripod to a certain level and just leave it and the laser level will level its self. so in order to do this 30x40 pole barn i might have to shift it down a little and rotate the laser head the other direction to get bolt sides. So i can just level the skirt board at night so i will be able to see the laser well. Thanks alot for the product information...
I will have to look into that....

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #60  
looking good. I plan to build a shop sometime soon. I plan on building it so I can have a separate shop from our auto shop.

Work probably won't begin for at least a few years though. It's probably not gonna be a pole barn though.

I'll probably start buying a few bags of concrete now and then until I get enough.

I was gonna go with a wood floor but decided not too since I remembered I would be using my welder in there.

Chad