Pole Barn Floor Leveling

/ Pole Barn Floor Leveling
Thanks again for all the replies. I really appreciate how the good folks on this site are so willing to passionately share their experiences and advice. It really is an awesome resource, and I benefit greatly every time I post.

I installed a retaining wall along the low side over the weekend, and moved in about 25 buckets of dirt. I have about 100 tons (~75 cu yds) of AB3 being delivered tomorrow. I talked to a buddy of mine who owns a skid steer, and he offered to come over next week and help me finish the project. We are going to fill about half way with dirt, level, water down, and compact with the skid steer, cover with a vapor barrier, and then top with AB3. Then we'll add water and compact again, and hope for the best.

I will share the pictures and the story when the project is complete. I definitely learned a tough lesson here.

Mike

/ Pole Barn Floor Leveling #22  
I'll plate compact, and then finish with AB3.

I think a plate compactor is exactly the right tool to compact inside the barn.

There are times when a plate compactor will tend to "run away" from me. Possibly my weak old body. I would consider some kind of bumper, like a 4x6 spanning between poles, so the compactor doesn't dent your walls.

You definitely need to divert water run off from the high side of the building.

/ Pole Barn Floor Leveling #23  
This situation is exactly what I faced when I built my 30X60 shop building. I had a guy level the building pad and we thought it was right on. However when construction began it was obvious there was a problem. The actual drop was from 0 to about 15" right to left. So, the builder installed pressure treated bottom headers in the appropriate places gravel was put into the interior area and leveled. Concrete was then poured to create a nice floor. Later that year, I created a gravel berm around the building to aid in water control and to give it a finished look. Its worked out well for me.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 1,843
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    657.8 KB · Views: 2,413
Mike, that looks very nice. This gives me some encouragement as I enter into the meat of my project in the next couple of days.

/ Pole Barn Floor Leveling #25  
Mike, that looks very nice. This gives me some encouragement as I enter into the meat of my project in the next couple of days.

I hope my post gave you some ideas to work on. I would also tell you to put down gravel as a floor base as others here have stated. Dirt floors are incredibly dusty and hard on equipment, not to mention your lungs. With gravel you also have the added benefit of pouring concrete at a later date if so desired. Your project is looking great--Good luck! Mike.

/ Pole Barn Floor Leveling #26  
Since you don't have a tiller to "create" you own dirt, or easily move existing dirt to grade, then just have aggregate material delivered. What you saved over the builder's quote will easily pay for the delivery of a nice, crushed concrete or similar, highly compacting product.

As has been said, get it done. You can worry about perfection somewhere down the line. Eventually, you'll want to have a poured floor, perhaps.

Until then, path of least resistance.

As for a dry interior, any "dirt" based product does indeed become dusty when dried out inside a barn. I hated it. Taking in a hose and giving a spray down, once or twice a year is a godsend. This simple dust control measure lasts a good long time. I've found far less dust issues with aggregate installed then with the original dirt. It was awful.

/ Pole Barn Floor Leveling #27  
Another often overlooked consideration is moisture control in a pole barn. I once leased a property that had a pole barn with a thinly graveled (and I mean thinly) floor and no insulation. It was miserable to work there in winter and even worse in the spring-summer. The interior literally sweated and dripped moisture. All my tools, saws etc. began to rust right before my eyes. Plus, the musty smell was overpowering. I made it my mission to find a better way when I built my own shop on property I now own. The result was insulation and a concrete floor when my new shop was built. That, and plenty of ventilation went along way in making the shop enjoyable to work in year around. Mike.

/ Pole Barn Floor Leveling #28  
We are building a new 64x40 pole barn at my folks for a shop area. I have been using clay and compacting it for the filler base until its time for rock and concrete.

/ Pole Barn Floor Leveling #29  
I'd be concerned about losing your floor without any overhang on any side or gutters. If you get much rain, it will drill a trench a foot deep in one season and keep going each year. I've seen several guys lose their concrete floor as the sides gave out. I wouldn't consider a barn without guttering. Personally, all of my barns have at least a 1' overhang and 6" gutters to keep water away. You'll be amazed, and sick, with what water will do to you.

I plan to install gutters just as soon as I can find someone to come out and do an estimate.

Here's a picture I took of my progress today. I'm pleased with the way it's turning out. I have about 3 hours or so left to complete the work.

The material seems to be working out well. If I have to adjust down the road, with insulation, different aggregate topper, etc., it shouldn't be a problem. I am using a vapor barrier to try to control moisture wicking from below. They are calling for rain tonight, so tomorrow I should be able to gauge how my drainage is looking.

Attachments

• 2010-08-07 12.34.59.jpg
    2010-08-07 12.34.59.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 1,063
  • 2010-08-14 14.37.58.jpg
    2010-08-14 14.37.58.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 1,259