Pole barn heat ideas for small section

/ Pole barn heat ideas for small section #1  

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD: 2520 & x758
I have a large pole barn that is uninsulated and unheated currently. Concrete floor, 14' sidewalls, no partitions or ceiling, 50x105. Yes, I know this is not a good situation to try to heat as is**. But the project to partition, insulate and finish it is a big one and isn't happening for a few years. In the meantime I'm looking for a way to semi-effectively heat a small portion while I'm out there in the winter doing projects (i.e. woodshop work, auto maint). I have a kerosene/diesel fired 115K BTU torpedo heater. It doesn't do much in that huge volume of air unless it's pointed right at me. It's also loud and smelly. I'm wondering if an infrared heater would work to heat the area I'm working in. I'm not looking to get it up to 60*, just take the edge off when it's below freezing outside. Maybe mounted on a cart so it is at people level and can me moved/pointed to the project area. I have 220V service in the shed. This would be heat turned on only when needed (for a couple hours a few days a week), not to heat the building continually.

So, which type of heat source would be most effective to focus heat in a small portion of a big building like this?

Thanks,
Rob

**[Yes, I know it won't be energy efficient. I don't need any prodding to finish the building the right way... It's coming. The floor is set up for in-floor radiant heating and will be heated by a boiler once the building is finished off. This is an interim solution so I can still work out there without freezing my fingers off in the meantime.]

/ Pole barn heat ideas for small section #2  
My BIL hung visqueen around a section just large enough to head, ceiling joists also. It is set up to pull up in the summer using pulleys.

/ Pole barn heat ideas for small section #4  
I used nearly every thing the first two years. Had good luck with this. I’m in Vermont.

200,000 BTU Convection Propane Portable Heater

https://www.homedepot.com/p/312170581

I hated the Mr heater torpedo heater for the reasons you described.

Condensation was a big problem for me also.

60,000 BTU Forced Air Propane Heater

https://www.homedepot.com/p/305088640

Both were hungry for propane and the bbq size bottles went quick.

I hung up canvas/cloth drop cloths from harbor freight with spring clamps to partition one corner off where my bench was the first year.

This year, I have my wood stove I’m using for primary and an 80k btu forced air furnace, and insulation on all walls and inside roof. Both are vented outside.

This is a 24x24 wood building 2 story with an open stairway.
The wood stove has maintained 60-65 inside with 30 ish outside so far.

The forced air furnace is connected to a 100 gallon tank. I wished I had bigger but I haven’t found one yet. I’ve yet to use it other than testing.

The plan was to use the furnace to help the wood stove make it through cold nights and maintain above 40 inside to help keep the concrete floor at temp.

/ Pole barn heat ideas for small section #5  
I have a large pole barn that is uninsulated and unheated currently. Concrete floor, 14' sidewalls, no partitions or ceiling, 50x105. Yes, I know this is not a good situation to try to heat as is**. But the project to partition, insulate and finish it is a big one and isn't happening for a few years. In the meantime I'm looking for a way to semi-effectively heat a small portion while I'm out there in the winter doing projects (i.e. woodshop work, auto maint). I have a kerosene/diesel fired 115K BTU torpedo heater. It doesn't do much in that huge volume of air unless it's pointed right at me. It's also loud and smelly. I'm wondering if an infrared heater would work to heat the area I'm working in. I'm not looking to get it up to 60*, just take the edge off when it's below freezing outside. Maybe mounted on a cart so it is at people level and can me moved/pointed to the project area. I have 220V service in the shed. This would be heat turned on only when needed (for a couple hours a few days a week), not to heat the building continually.

So, which type of heat source would be most effective to focus heat in a small portion of a big building like this?

Thanks,
Rob

**[Yes, I know it won't be energy efficient. I don't need any prodding to finish the building the right way... It's coming. The floor is set up for in-floor radiant heating and will be heated by a boiler once the building is finished off. This is an interim solution so I can still work out there without freezing my fingers off in the meantime.]

I did just go back and read your information about having the radiant heat in place.

Maybe scrounge up a hot water heater and feed one zone/portion of that and build a plastic “paint booth” out of pvc pipe and visqueen/blue tarp?

/ Pole barn heat ideas for small section #6  
If you have good electric look at a ductless mini split - you get heat and A/C.

/ Pole barn heat ideas for small section
I did just go back and read your information about having the radiant heat in place.

Maybe scrounge up a hot water heater and feed one zone/portion of that and build a plastic 菟aint booth out of pvc pipe and visqueen/blue tarp?

Since this is for random short-term use, not continual heat the slab radiant isn't feasible. The idea of partitioning off a section with poly might be viable though.

Rob

/ Pole barn heat ideas for small section #10  
I think sectioning off with tarps or plastic or something is going to be a good bang for your buck. Certainly not as good as the insulation etc that is to come, but to get you through.