Pole Barn House Plans

/ Pole Barn House Plans
What are they like to heat? Being a pole barn, are the difficult to insulate like you would a more conventional house? How are you planing to heat it? Wood? Boiler?

Most stick built homes uses much more lumber and takes much longer to erect which brings up your labor and material cost of a regular built home. Most are built with 2x4 walls but can be more efficient if built with 2x6 walls but that makes the house cost even more.

Pole barn homes are very easy to insulate just like a regular home. Instead of the wall studs going vertical you put 2x6's horizontal like a book shelve from pole to pole. They are put every 24" and you can use regular rolled insulation or spray foam insulation. Pole barn homes usually don't have a basement but is built with a slab that is usually poured after the building is built. If you insulate under the slab and insulate the 6" walls the pole barn house can be very energy efficient.

I plan to use radiant floor heating that uses pex tubing that will be in the slab foundation that uses a regular hot water heater to heat water that flows through pex to heat the floor. It is a much more comfortable heat and if done right can be very energy efficient.

/ Pole Barn House Plans #12  
Most stick built homes uses much more lumber and takes much longer to erect which brings up your labor and material cost of a regular built home. Most are built with 2x4 walls but can be more efficient if built with 2x6 walls but that makes the house cost even more.

Pole barn homes are very easy to insulate just like a regular home. Instead of the wall studs going vertical you put 2x6's horizontal like a book shelve from pole to pole. They are put every 24" and you can use regular rolled insulation or spray foam insulation. Pole barn homes usually don't have a basement but is built with a slab that is usually poured after the building is built. If you insulate under the slab and insulate the 6" walls the pole barn house can be very energy efficient.

I plan to use radiant floor heating that uses pex tubing that will be in the slab foundation that uses a regular hot water heater to heat water that flows through pex to heat the floor. It is a much more comfortable heat and if done right can be very energy efficient.

That is very interesting. I have something to new to read up on now. Can't wait to see pictures

/ Pole Barn House Plans #14  
You can also bookshelf using 2x8 girts to achieve more air gap for your insulation, install them with 1 1/2" protruding past the post and you don't have to notch the truss carriers into the posts which saves some time. Just be sure to use ring shank nails for truss to post and truss carrier to post connections.

Best of Luck,
Robert Turner

/ Pole Barn House Plans
You can also bookshelf using 2x8 girts to achieve more air gap for your insulation, install them with 1 1/2" protruding past the post and you don't have to notch the truss carriers into the posts which saves some time. Just be sure to use ring shank nails for truss to post and truss carrier to post connections.

Best of Luck,
Robert Turner

Thanks Robert for your reply, I had a pole barn supplier tell me the same thing about using 2x8's in the bookshelf method and then you would have your framing for the inside and your girts all in one board. I wasn't sure what he meant how that works. Does the 1 1/2 that protrudes past the post goes on the inside of the building or does it protrude past the outside and that is what you nail your metal to?

/ Pole Barn House Plans #16  
Thanks Robert for your reply, I had a pole barn supplier tell me the same thing about using 2x8's in the bookshelf method and then you would have your framing for the inside and your girts all in one board. I wasn't sure what he meant how that works. Does the 1 1/2 that protrudes past the post goes on the inside of the building or does it protrude past the outside and that is what you nail your metal to?

The Metal is normally NAILED to 2x4 girts running horizontal between posts. the 2x8 would be nailed to the top of these 2x4s and the metal would be right against them as well. NORMALLY you would have the pole barn all done as a dry in package then floor goes in and you come back and frame up the inside into walls and insulate and seal it up. I have mine about 2/3's done but went with the 2x6 vertical framing.

Some pics.

mark

/ Pole Barn House Plans #17  
Gordon, what a beautiful spot!! I think you will like pole barn house. My nephew is building one now but his has crawl space instead of slab. That floor heat is great! I'm looking forward to following your build!

/ Pole Barn House Plans
Gordon, what a beautiful spot!! I think you will like pole barn house. My nephew is building one now but his has crawl space instead of slab. That floor heat is great! I'm looking forward to following your build!

Thanks for commenting MacLawn

/ Pole Barn House Plans
Thanks Spiker for sharing this, it looks great. I might end up using the 2x6's vertical like you did.

/ Pole Barn House Plans #20  

On the outside so you don't have to notch the truss carriers and fit the grade board between the posts. The 1 1/2" is simulating nailing the girts on the outside of the post like a typical pole barn.

RT