Pole barn interior wall

/ Pole barn interior wall #21  
Helped put up 114 sheets of OSB in a barn last year. Painted with 2 coats of white glossy house paint. One coat before installation & another after. 24X60 w/16' ceiling. Three 250 watt low bay metal halide lights & no windows. Did painting with a pump/reservoir in the handle type roller. Very bright inside.

/ Pole barn interior wall #22  
Two part question.

I started strapping the inside walls today. I'm using 2x6's turned sideways, between the posts on 2 foot centers. I was told today that I should have strapped the inside walls the same as the outside with 2x4's. I thought it wouldn't matter and I would have LOTS of shelf space until the time comes to finishing it. Does anyone see a problem with the way I'm doing it?

I was told by the same guy that I might have trouble with getting insurance, because I plan on finishing the inside with barn pine. Anyone have trouble with this?

/ Pole barn interior wall #23  
Actually putting blocking between the studs inproves the fire resistance slightly as it acts as a fire stop. If insulated the blocking makes breaks in the insulation so it slightly increases heat loss, if you're heating. If it's 20 below zero inside & out you won't notice the difference. The other value in strapping the inside is it's easier than blocking.
Finishing with non-flame spread rated material inside is primarily a concern for life safety. That comes into play for residences & places of employement (at least in the US it does) where the insurance company could be liable for any loss of life. For a private accessory building in New Hampshire insurance is based on replacement value.

/ Pole barn interior wall #24  
Buck; Your interior shiplap has been on for several years. Did it shrink leaving gaps? Any other issues? Did you treat the boards with anything?

We are finishing our Monitor Barn addition and oil-stained shiplap will be installed on the interior walls of the heated garage and living space. The contractor is advising us to expect some additional shrinkage even though the boards have been drying for a year under cover. The shrinkage would be in additional to the normal expansion / contraction due to seasonal changes here in Vermont.

/ Pole barn interior wall #25  
I used a combination of drywall and OSB. My walls are 12 feet so the top 4 feet is drywall, painted and the lower 8 foot is OSB. Not too bad lighting for working the florescent fixtures help.

Attachments

• P6130098.JPG
    P6130098.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 2,363
  • PA010006.JPG
    PA010006.JPG
    277.5 KB · Views: 1,440