Pole Barn Loft

/ Pole Barn Loft #1  

rhammen

Tractor
Kobota
I am putting a loft in my pole barn.

I have completed many projects such as this in the past but it never hurts to hear others opinions.

Uploaded a word doc to explain my plan

Basically a 40x72 pole barn with loft in end.

if you want to comment, I appreciate all!

New at this, so if doesn't work let me know!

/ Pole Barn Loft #2  
Doing the same thing. Read your explanation, and i think you are using the posts to support some of the weight of the loft floor? When we designed our pole building i told the designer that is what I wanted to do and he said it can be done, but those poles are not really designed to carry any floor weight, footings are not big enough. His suggestion was, and that is what we are going to do, is pour a concrete grade beam build supporting wall on that, then put floor on top. I think what you are trying to do is put storage above your over head door tracks?? We are not putting it over our doors so i think it makes sense why you are doing it the way you are. You might want to consider making separate support poles going down to the ground on there own footings.

/ Pole Barn Loft
thanks for you thoughts. I did miss that step in explaining my plan. All posts are set in concrete, so the interior posts and exterior posts all are designed to carry the load. The loft was planned at the time of build so all the posts were set in place with this in mind.

/ Pole Barn Loft #4  
Bleah....! I put a loft in my barn, to hold hay. I later tore it out. I want storage on 1 level. Going upstairs sucks, and going down can suck. Better to build larger or another storage building.

/ Pole Barn Loft
if I was hauling heavy and unwieldy hay bales up and down, been there-done that, I would agree. But this is just long term storage of some household goods. On trip up and then it may be there for years!

/ Pole Barn Loft #6  
I have a loft 16x16 in the corner of my pole barn, uses 2x6 joists 24" centres , 5/8 plywood floor, braces attached back, up and down to the poles. One 4x4 post in the front corner. Works well for light weight dead storage.---Trevor