Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter?

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #11  
When Morton built my house they used a nibbler. The material they use is so called self healing therefore you shoudn't use circular saw. Shears or nibbler pulls the galvanizing material over the edge and seals it so it will not rust. Circular saw leaves it exposed. Well that is what the builder told me. I just went to the garage and checked few pieces of leftover sheet metal. No rust on the egge after five years of laying there.

This makes sense. Example: On my dog kennel outdoors, I used a few bolts and nuts that were just plated junk. After years of them attached to the galvanized stuff outdoors, the gavanization has covered them.

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #12  
I have a Kett-tool set up

Kett Tool Company : KIT #215

shear and nibbler kit

shear works best for rips and nibbler best for cross cuts

I also have the a clark metal saw too but it works the best for cross cuts

tom

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #13  
I don't know about the rusting issue with using a circular saw, and haven't noticed a problem with any of the panels I have cut with a circular saw. Anyhow if you take an old plywood blade and put it on the circular saw backwards, you will find it cuts metal panels very well. But, be careful about pinching and kick back, as anytime you use a circular saw.

This was the first way I used to cut metal panels as well (well, after I got tired of the tin snips!). I should mention that you shouldn't use a carbide tipped one though!:eek: Sure likes to rip the cemented-on teeth off!:D I've been using an abrasive wheel blade in my circular saw and works pretty good but as all abrasive wheels will do they wear down. I've not tried the metal cutting blades. I will say a good pair of ear plugs or muffs are good to have here.

As others have mentioned, I usually buy it cut to length but, as we all know, Murphy's Law has to come into play somewhere!:mad:

The shear would be nice and I'd like to try one. The nibbler is something I've seen at the place I've bought my metal. I've never asked them about them though.

One other thing that bears mentioning, Wroughtn Harv says that if you're making a cut parallel to the ribs that a simple utility knife works as good as anything. He says to score it with the knife and snap it apart like you would other construction materials. I haven't had the opportunity to try it though.

Jay

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #14  
One other thing that bears mentioning, Wroughtn Harv says that if you're making a cut parallel to the ribs that a simple utility knife works as good as anything. He says to score it with the knife and snap it apart like you would other construction materials. I haven't had the opportunity to try it though.

A utility knife will work but not real well on high end quality steel.

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #15  
I've found the best saw for cutting metal panels is one similiar to this one;

Craftsman 6-1/8 in. Twin Cutter Electric Saw Sears Item# 00925574000 | Model# 25574

It makes a clean cut, without the heat of an abrasive blade.

Doug

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #16  
I made a jig to slide the panels into and lightly clamp them to the jig. It has a track to slide a skilsaw across making quick straight cuts. the jig is wide enough to make up to 60 degree angle cuts. I will take some pics and post them. The right blade helps with the cut. Which ever one is used, make sure to wear eye & hearing protection.

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter?
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great tips. A lot of good ideas. I called Menards and they do indeed rent a shear. Its $55 for 10 hours. Not to bad of a price. They said to buy the shear is $1,100.00 so that is out of the question. I ended up deciding to use a tin snips for now. I'm doing 9 sheets on the roof and now that I know I can purchase the rest of the sheets (for the back wall) cut to length I'll plan to do that. The only panels I would have to cut then would be on the ends.

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #18  
all good ideas. in the past and these have been nothing bigger that 36 X 36 barns I have just used a circular saw and metal abrasive type blade. As I recall it did a pretty good job. the comments about the edges makes sense, but don't most edges get covered either with overlap or corner pieces that cover the edge?

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #19  
all good ideas. in the past and these have been nothing bigger that 36 X 36 barns I have just used a circular saw and metal abrasive type blade. As I recall it did a pretty good job. the comments about the edges makes sense, but don't most edges get covered either with overlap or corner pieces that cover the edge?

The metal cutting Milwaukee circular saw that I have produces a very smooth cut and doesn't seem to heat the metal at all si it doesn't damage the paint. You can touch the cut immediately after making it and it is cold to the touch. It leaves no burr or sharp points. It is also much quieter than I had anticipated probably about 1/4 the sound level of an abrasive wheel or a regular circular saw with the blade on backwards. The magic must be in the design of the blade. The teeth seem to be carbide. If you cut with the good side down the shoe of the saw glides over the panel sitting perfectly flat and it is just about like cutting thin plywood. Very straight cross cuts and diagnol cuts are very easy to make free hand following a pencil line or chalk line. It has a clear plastic forward blade gaurd that allows you to see the cut line very well and since the blade is on the left side that helps also, no leaning over the saw to see where it is cutting.

/ Pole Barn Metal Panel cutter? #20  
How is the material supposed to be self healing? when they galvanize something, the exterior is coated. When you cut through it, the inside isn't going to be galvanized.

An abrasive saw blade may throw sparks and create a rougher edge than a pair of shears, but it gets the job done.

The galvanizing metal is a special alloy that is soft and pliable enough to be pulled over the of the steel sheet metal and seal that. But it only happens when you use nibbler, shears or another tool that uses similar cutting princible.