Pole barn pad ...long read

/ Pole barn pad ...long read #11  
...include removing top soil and all undisturbed soil...

Should read as "removing ... all disturbed soil". A disconnect between brain and fingers, eh, Cory? :)

Last edited:
   / Pole barn pad ...long read
Ok, just so you know, here is what I am working with. I think I may continue you to update on here what I am doing. In the first picture, the three pine trees are coming down. Then, in the third picture the two trees on wither side of the barn are coming down. They are oaks and will be good to heat the house this winter. Once the trees are cleaned up and branches burned, I will get the excavators to come in and remove stumps and build the pad.

I am headed to a place called 64 metals next week to order the kit. Are perma columns worth the extra cost? I am worried about wood rot over the life of the barn. Just wondering if anyone has any experience!

Attachments

• IMG_5593.jpg
    IMG_5593.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_5596.jpg
    IMG_5596.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_5598.jpg
    IMG_5598.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_5592.jpg
    IMG_5592.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 260
   / Pole barn pad ...long read #13  
I have limestone screenings in my barn. Works fine for storing equipment etcetera. If you compact them and wet them down they make a relatively solid surface.

You may want the screenings or stone to be 4"-6" below the height of a future concrete floor. This height is dependant on the thickness of the floor.

/ Pole barn pad ...long read #14  
Good advice given here and good call on letting the guy with the equipment do the work. As for what we do here in Indiana is we level the site, put in the poles and skirt boards, bring in gravel, then finish the barn. We compact the grave and hand tamp the edges then pour the concrete to the grade line.

Chris

Here is the storage shed that is currently going out. The guy was here yesterday most of the day by himself. I kept offering him help, he seemed content to work alone, though. At the end of the evening, he wasn't able to pull the trailer up the hill. Still a little soggy. It looks flat, but it is deceiving.

Attachments

• IMG_5603.JPG
    IMG_5603.JPG
    942 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_5604.jpg
    IMG_5604.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_5605.jpg
    IMG_5605.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 291
Got one tree down last night. The wind was a little ferocious and the others require climbing in them and taking limbs down from the top. I have an experienced tree cutter helping ... I have no idea what I am doing. I am just good at cleaning them up when they are on the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    950.6 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 277
Did some more work last night, got 3 more trees down. Two of the big nasty pine trees and the final oak (I think it was oak). The Tundra is my truck and what we were using to tension the trees. It has really opened up our side yard. One more tree to go, I am going to get the three I have down cleaned up, though. Yeee haw!

To the comment about 64 metals, I really like them up there. I have had at least 100 million questions and my sales guy has been nothing less than awesome. Hopefully their buildings are as good as everyone says they are ...

Attachments

• IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 219
All the trees are down and cut up. I am going to call the excavator today. It is pouring down rain though, so who knows when he will be able to get in there. Soon, hopefully, materials are supposed to be delivered Monday!

Attachments

• treesdown.jpg
    treesdown.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 192
Well, I have my materials delivered because I was anticipating having been excavated already. However, it seems like it has been raining none stop here. The excavator told me he thought he would be able to get in by this past Wednesday, but it rained Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Looks like it will probably be next week sometime.

That's ok though, gives me time to get the windows installed that have been sitting in my garage for the better part of 2 months now :)

I will snap some more photos once the excavating begins ... I can't wait to get started!