Pole Barn Questions

/ Pole Barn Questions #1  

mbeckett

Tractor
Ford 641 Workmaster
So I was talking with my uncle the other day and he said that he had some
32' trusses that he took out of an old pig barn and he said he would give them to me if I wanted them. So I told him I would take them. But I have a few questions for everyone on the construction aspect of the building.

1. Would you suggest going with solid 6x6 or 3-2x6 nailed together for the poles
2. Is a 32x64 with a 12'-16' lean to on one side big enough?
3. Is a 12' ceiling high enough or sould I go 14'

Also I prolly wont have quite enough money to side the whole thing with metal the first year so I was going to just put the roof on and then put the side metal on next year. What are your thougts on that and are there any special considerations I should take if I don't put the metal on the side this year.

/ Pole Barn Questions
[So I was talking with my uncle the other day and he said that he had some
32' trusses that he took out of an old pig barn and he said he would give them to me if I wanted them. So I told him I would take them. But I have a few questions for everyone on the construction aspect of the building.

1. Would you suggest going with solid 6x6 or 3-2x6 nailed together for the poles

Also I prolly wont have quite enough money to side the whole thing with metal the first year so I was going to just put the roof on and then put the side metal on next year. What are your thougts on that and are there any special considerations I should take if I don't put the metal on the side this year.

/ Pole Barn Questions #3  
I would go with 3 - 2x6 with the top center made to accept the truss sandwiched between the two outer 2x6 and cut the top of the post off roof pitch slope after the trusses are set and bolted. The end rafters are set flush as seen in the pic.

Building height is mostly personal preference and what fits what you'll be housing in it. There have been bunches of open sided buildings built and sometimes they are called a hay shed. One problem with open sheds is that high winds can be detrimental occasionally.

You are lucky to have free lumber assembled and good luck with your building.

Attachments

• scott's chicken - Mark only - 4-18-09.jpg
    scott's chicken - Mark only - 4-18-09.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 180
  • scott's chicken house first rafter 4-18-09.jpg
    scott's chicken house first rafter 4-18-09.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 187
   / Pole Barn Questions #4  
[

Personaly preference. They are built both ways and last a lifetime. BUT, typically, the 2x6 method is cheaper since only what is in the ground is treated lumber, whereas a 6x6 is treated all the way. IF you dont plan on siding right away, I would go with the 6x6, or at least treated 2x6's all the way incase you dont get around to siding it for awhile.

We cannot really answer these questions. It all depends on what you are going to store/use the building for, how much equipment you have, and what your future plans are.

Special considerations...See above about the posts.

Also, dont frame the walls until you are ready for the siding either. Non-treated construction limber doesnt last long out in the elements. So just keep that in mind.

/ Pole Barn Questions #5  
Our Pole Barn is probably built around 2000 or so. The 6X6 used are pretty gross, looking like Creosote encrusted. I am sure they don't do this this way any more.

If you are putting in a roll up door I would factor that into your height question. It is your call but you will drop 2 feet for the support.

/ Pole Barn Questions #6  
MIne is built with treated 6x6 and some 6x8 posts. All are pretty green posts, and have survived 6' Snow and ice drifts on the roof before i could get the stuff to shed.

Not too many people here in Idaho use the laminated wood method of posts, but that might be do to snow loading. Not sure.

Companies like Morton buildings use the laminated stuff exclusively.

/ Pole Barn Questions #7  
Built it as big & tall as you can afford - Prob can't be "too big" :thumbsup:

/ Pole Barn Questions #9  
I would think that the 3 2x6 to make a post would give more places to trap water a cause rot

/ Pole Barn Questions #10  
I would think that the 3 2x6 to make a post would give more places to trap water a cause rot

Morton brand buildings do it all the time.

The only places that are going to see any moisture is what is burried. And that they use PT lumber that is ground contact rated. Above that (assuming an enclosed building) shouldnt see any water.

And like I mentioned earler, it the building is going to be left open-sided for any length of time, I would not recomend this method of construction.