Pole Barn Questions

/ Pole Barn Questions #11  
At my local Lowe's, a treated 6"x6"x12' is $35.97, & a treated 2"x6"x12' is $6.97 = $20.91 for 3. Add some $ for screws or nails to scab them together ... screws/ nails ain't cheap any more :(

Two-by's are only ~1.5" thick, so three scabbed together two-by's will only be 4.5" thick, vs ~5.5" thick for a 6"x6".

/ Pole Barn Questions #12  
I am in the process of building a pole barn myself, I looked into the laminated post idea and while I was at it. I also checked on using telephone poles, as they are specifically treated for being in the elements 27/7. after some good searching I found brand new 30 ft long poles, for $95 a piece. what also sold me on them was they came with a no rot guarentee of 30 years. I basically did what Sandburanch did to the top of his pole. I used a chain saw and cut a slot in the top of the pole to set the truss in. then installed two studs/nuts on each joint sandwhiching the whole thing together. no having to spend time laminating boards and so on. plus I don't know about the rest of you out there but the quality of lumber, treated or other wise just isn't what it use to be. Most of it will twist and bend in sort time if you don't put it up and brace it good before it has a chance to twist on you. as far as my outside wall they are 12 ft, my tractors are between 8 and 10 ft. so I wanted a little extra head room. for me any more than that was a waste of time amd money. money I could better spend on more farming toys,He,He!

/ Pole Barn Questions #13  
At my local Lowe's, a treated 6"x6"x12' is $35.97, & a treated 2"x6"x12' is $6.97 = $20.91 for 3. Add some $ for screws or nails to scab them together ... screws/ nails ain't cheap any more :(

Two-by's are only ~1.5" thick, so three scabbed together two-by's will only be 4.5" thick, vs ~5.5" thick for a 6"x6".

correct you are. But relize that a 12' 6x6 is only going to get you a 8' building.

The big cost savings comes from buildings that are 12 and 14' tall. Where a 16-20' post is required. Have you priced a 20' 6x6? vs 3 shorter PT 2x6's just to get you out of the ground and then using non-treated 2x6's the rest of the way?

Menards is the only place around here that has 20' lengths of 6x6, and they are 57.99ea

To build a post out of 2x6's, you need to stagger the joints where the PT meets the non treated stuff. So if you got one each of 8', 10', and 12' in PT, and a 12' nonPT to match the 8', a 10' to match the 10, you get the idea. Anyways, total in lumber would be $25.59, less than half the cost of the 6x6. And at about $27 cheaper, and if building a sizable barn that requires 20+ posts, thats over $500 cheaper. And that will buy a lot of screws.

I'm not trying to sway one way or the other. Just pointing out the options, because BOTH methods are approved ways to build. Me, being the penny pincher, I build mine out of used (FREE) electric poles:thumbsup:

/ Pole Barn Questions #14  
I am in the process of building a pole barn myself, I looked into the laminated post idea and while I was at it. I also checked on using telephone poles, as they are specifically treated for being in the elements 27/7. He!

What planet are you from:confused2::laughing:

/ Pole Barn Questions #16  
He got tired of never having enough time in the day, so he just made his days longer :confused3:

He's going to have to teach me how to do that, because I often find I dont have enough time in the day to do what I need either. Especially sleep:laughing:

/ Pole Barn Questions #17  
there are days i wish i had 27 hours.....then again there are days i wish were only 8 hours long.:p