Pole Barn vs metal frame?

/ Pole Barn vs metal frame? #1  

streamin

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5035 HST
Looking to buy one and do the work myself. Cost is a main concern and I know the differences, seems the companies are all biased depending what they sell. Leaning towards pole barn because you can pour concrete later if desired. Only issue I have is the space the trusses take up. I have had metal body shops for years but sometimes I have used the roof beam for lifting things, can't do that on a truss. (but not a big deal). Then there are the square tubed metal carport style shops. Quicker but seem cheesy...This will be for storing stuff(tractor etc. and also doing some work in there. Any thoughts and incites are welcome. Thanks!

/ Pole Barn vs metal frame? #2  
I've picked up big block V8 engines with transmission on them, all on a wooden truss.

You can build a steel frame building and pour concrete later also.

/ Pole Barn vs metal frame?
I've picked up big block V8 engines with transmission on them, all on a wooden truss.

You can build a steel frame building and pour concrete later also.
I had no idea they were that strong, thanks!

/ Pole Barn vs metal frame? #4  
I had a 28x35 metal carport type garage put up on concrete 2 yrs ago and love it , i put 1x4 purlins around the inside and coversd with osb to protect walls and allow me to build a workbench and hang some cabinets, I went with 10 ft walls and 2 10x9 rollup doors,

/ Pole Barn vs metal frame? #5  
Couple of suggestions: The sq tube carport stuff is indeed cheezy, esp if you ever have any weather "events". They become big "sails", and unless you close them in completely, you're really not that protected.

If you choose to go with pole barn and trusses, think about where you'd want to have your "lifts" located at, and then order heavier lumber for the bottom cord of the trusses in that area, and then tie them together with a hogs-back beam on top of them to spread the weight distribution among 3-4 of them. Or... you might investigate getting a steel beam installed to use with lifting chains and dollys to move back and forth.

/ Pole Barn vs metal frame? #7  
I have several pole barns and several steel carport type buildings. I like them both. I'm not a structural engineer but have scabbed 2x to bottom chord on trusses also added additional collar Ties on wood trusses to make them stronger and more confident they won't break or fail. I've done the same with steel only I used additional steel and a welder instead of 16s lol.

/ Pole Barn vs metal frame?
Couple of suggestions: The sq tube carport stuff is indeed cheezy, esp if you ever have any weather "events". They become big "sails", and unless you close them in completely, you're really not that protected.

If you choose to go with pole barn and trusses, think about where you'd want to have your "lifts" located at, and then order heavier lumber for the bottom cord of the trusses in that area, and then tie them together with a hogs-back beam on top of them to spread the weight distribution among 3-4 of them. Or... you might investigate getting a steel beam installed to use with lifting chains and dollys to move back and forth.
Thanks, I never heard that term "hogs-back beam" but I think I get what you mean.