Pole build: Structural screws vs. pole barn nails/carriage bolts

/ Pole build: Structural screws vs. pole barn nails/carriage bolts #11  
Put a construction or deck screw in a vice & hit it on the side with a hammer. Then do the ame to a nail. The nail will bend, the screw snaps. Code usually specifies nails for framing due to earthquakes & the like. Your fastener may get mangled but will hold. At least that's what I've been told. The harder the fastener the more brittle it usually becomes.

In general fancy expensive fasteners can only survive if they are that much faster & easier to install that they save on the labor to install them. Seems to be plenty thar are surviving.

/ Pole build: Structural screws vs. pole barn nails/carriage bolts #12  
If you ever do any remodeling in a house, you will be very happy is they only used nails. You will be very unhappy if they used screws, because it's ten times harder to pull apart a board that has been screwed in compared to one that is nailed in.

In order to break the screw, you have to bend it over, almost 90 degrees and even then hit it a few times. So far, I've never seen a screw break that was used in framing a house. Probably because they never get bent over 90 degrees while holding the lumber together.

/ Pole build: Structural screws vs. pole barn nails/carriage bolts #13  
In my building work, I've found that using structural screws like Spax is usually a better option for connecting big beams to posts. These screws are strong and hold things together nicely. They're also easier to put in and remove if you need to change something later.

Whenever I need screws or bolts for a job, I buy them from a trusted Foundation Bolts Manufacturer. Their stuff is always good quality, and they have a lot of different kinds to choose from. This makes me sure that whatever I build will stay strong and last long.

Last edited: